Prologue

"I'm... the Supreme...?" I ask.

"Well, we don't know for sure," says Catarina Porter, the head of the council. "We will have to test you. You will be tested alongside four other witches and warlocks."

"How?" All of this information seems to be hitting hard as I have never been given knowledge of this. I found out a year ago that I wasn't an ordinary warlock and now I'm supposed to be the next Supreme?

"By performing the Seven Wonders," says Benita Hoffman, the second of three council members. "We plan for you to be tested tomorrow."

"I don't understand. Helena is a great Supreme! Why do I have to take her place?" My voice begins to crack as my emotions interfere.

"It's just how things work. With every generation comes a new Supreme. It's the best for the Coven," says Catarina.

"But Helena is best for the Coven! Do you honestly think that I'm gonna do any better? I can't top her! I can't top her achievements!" I begin to get angry.

"You should consider yourself lucky, George! The odds of having a male Supreme have always been slim-to-none! There aren't many warlocks in our world nowadays," the last of the three, Theodore Giovanni, shouts. Theodore has always been the most calm out of the three council members. So, to see him have a mini explosion is a little scary.

Intimidated by Theodore, I sigh in acceptance. "Okay... I'll take your little tests." I begin walking away.

"Where are you going? Our meeting isn't over yet, George," Theodore says.

"I have less than twelve hours until I have to successfully perform the Seven Wonders! I need my rest!" I say. I walk up to my room and lay in bed motionless. A couple of minutes later, there is a knock on my door.

The visitor opens the door slightly to reveal some hallway light. "Helena would like to see you," says the butler.

"I'll be right there, thank you," I say, getting up. I walk out of my room and make my way up to Helena's room. As I knock on the thick, mahogany door, a sense of nervousness fills my stomach. The door swings slightly open.

"Come in, George," I hear a weak Helena say. I make my way through the door and find Helena sitting on her bed. I hug her delicately because I'm afraid to hurt her.

"You wanted to see me?" I ask.

She clears her throat before speaking. "Yes, I did..." She pauses, almost like she's thinking about what she's gonna say before she says it. "I'm dying, George."

I am lost for words. I have no idea how to respond to news of a death.

"I'm dying tonight, and I am proud to say that you will be taking my place as the Supreme of this coven. I have watched you grow from a child to a man. You've been here since you were thirteen-years-old and now, four years later, you've become a leader, a visionary, and a more-than-qualified warlock to take my place. George, I am thrilled to see where you're going to take this coven. I'm glad I get to see it from the other side. George, I have a sense that you will be a very powerful warlock, and that you will have no trouble at all achieving great things with this coven."

Taking all of this in, I say, "Helena, thank you very much. You have been a motherly figure not only to me, but to my fellow students here at Blanche Laurent's. You have been the best Supreme this or any Coven has seen. I gotta be honest, I feel a little pressured. I have such a big name to live up to, and I'm not sure if I can do it." I pause. "With all due time, I will run the Coven successfully. I just wish that I could be as great of leader as you, Helena. But how do you know that I'm destined to be the next supreme?"

"I've seen it in my visions. That is why I have such confidence in the future of the Coven. I've seen firsthand what you will do for it and how you will execute your plans successfully."

Tears begin rolling down my cheeks, but I don't whimper nor cry. "Helena, thank you." I'm trying to find appropriate words to say. "Thank you for everything you've ever done for this Coven, for everything you've done for the academy, and for everything you've done for me." I lay a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Goodnight, Helena."

"Goodnight, George." She smiles. I walk out of her room and into my own. Falling back onto my bed, I shut my eyes and try to fall asleep. I toss and turn constantly, but finally, I give into my overwhelming exhaustion and sleep.