Joseph

A shudder ran through my body as I crossed the threshold of the derelict house, evidence of it once being a home clear as day. The previous inhabitants must have been taken by the disease that had been widespread in this area of Brumley a few mere months ago. I covered my nose and mouth as I progressed further into the building; I had heard that one could become ill by breathing the same air as others, and I was not one to not take precautions.

I had heard rumours of a disease now known as scarlet fever passing quickly through this area of the city, killing many it touched, and harming almost twice as many. My heartbeat took a sharp incline as the memories of the funeral processions insisted on being pictured, whilst I took in my surroundings.

The battered wooden planks spotted with cigarette burns lay decaying, seeming to mimic the victims of the red death that had once inhabited this town.

The telegram had come early this morning, detailing the location. I was lucky to have received it before Father, and even luckier that Edna continued to make excuses for my absence. We were still in the early hours of the morning, but since Gerald had begun courting me I was expected to arise even earlier in the morning in order to prepare for his presence. He both tires and bores me simultaneously, with his constant chatter surrounding career - I am grateful to be a 'lady' simply to stop them discussing such tiresome matters in front of me. Since I already know his unfaithful nature, I will be pleased to be free of his presence. My original attraction to him began to fade as soon as my relations with Eva began to prosper, and his morose attitude towards everyday joys continued to turn me against him. I had never held value towards wealth, and both his and my fathers current goal to accumulate their wealth further distanced me from the family and my courtship.

Before I could think anymore, I heard a foot collide with the floor, and I flinched instinctively. I assumed it was Joseph, his late tendencies once again showing themselves. I was wrong.