It's Over

Sighing, I met her eyes, and went to speak when she rushed out words I would and could never forget in my existence within this realm.

"Eva is in hospital. I just got a telegram from Joseph, who was in the area when they found her. They say she cannot remember anything, and seemed surprised that she was pregnant."

My heart thudded within my chest, and the hat I was holding whilst packing slipped from out of my fingers, rolling away from me along its fragile rim. Questions ran through my head at an impossible pace, the most important one seemed to appear constantly; what had happened?

Edna seemed to understand my panic and gave my a comforting smile, that lit up her beautiful face, that was already starting to show wrinkles, despite her young age; barely older than myself, and not even as old as Joseph; he was merely one summer older and I sometimes felt they were an ideal to strive for whilst they were together.

"She is okay ma'am" Edna explained.

"It's Sheila," I said, lip trembling as I stroked her cheek with a smile.

"We cannot go on like this, ma'am, it is improper, and the things you do with that young lady. I cannot pretend to understand why you do it or how you can feel attraction in such an unholy way, but I have taken care of you until you have become a fine young woman, and I will not forsake that, not even for the Lord himself, but I must insist that we slow down ma'am. Your father is getting suspicious, and he will be hell bent on discovering what you are hiding from him that has caused such a sudden disturbance to Gerald's presence."

Unable to think, I sat on the edge of the bed, feeling the covers with the pads of my fingertips.

She was right. This was improper. It had to stop.