Albie

The echoes of coughs and footsteps pricked my ears, my heart leaping every time I thought one was directing towards me. The smell of bleach pervaded my nostrils and I resisted the urge to gag, trying to keep the minimal food I had eaten within within my stomach.

The rough hospital blankets scratched my exposed arms, making them itch.

The pain of my nails against my arm, brushing against a bruise cleared the fog that had taken over my mind, and I suddenly remembered why I was here. My arm moved under the blankets to rest on my lower stomach, as tears filled my eyes at the thought of having lost my Albie.

We had decided together that he would be called Albert, after both of our grandfathers were coincidentally named the same - it felt right this way. But all of it could be gone now. I could've lost our precious child from an irresponsible fall, and I couldn't be sure she would still want me after I had ruined things in such a way.

Sitting up, pain radiating through my skull. Lifting my arm I felt a bandage wrapped around my head, the thick layer coating my forehead.

A nurse steered in my direction after seeing my movement and I hurried to think of a name to give, knowing that if they knew who I was then our plan would be over before it had truly begun. Mary Elizabeth King. My grandmother's maiden name appeared in my mind, and I prayed to the stars above that they would accept it, and I would not be recognised.

'Nasty fall you 'ad there miss, weren't sure you was goin'ta make it past this evening. Tha worst of i' seems to 'ave passed though ma'am.' she said boldly, leaning to check my forehead.

'Albie-'

'Your little ones just fine miss, that's why we was all in such a fuss about you, weren't sure if 'e was okay or not'

She kept speaking but I could not hear, joy filling me, face growing hot as tears filled my eyes.

'Albie, eh? Thats a nice name, we need to get yours too please miss?'

'Mary' I said. 'My name is Mary Elizabeth King.'