21

If Matt had water in his mouth, he would have spat it right out. His eyes flew wide. Did she just say what I think she said?

  "I-I'm sorry?" Matt stuttered, taken aback.

  Rosanna sighed, "you can't tell him. Please. You can't tell anyone."

  "W-Wh-What — why? W—" Matt said, flustered. "Why would you tell me!"

  "I didn't know who else to tell!" Rosanna exclaimed.

  "But  — How, what?" Matt sat down gathering his breath. "How do you expect me to keep this from him?"

  "I don't know!" Rosanna said. "But you have to."

  "Why me Rosanna? Why'd you have to tell me?" Matt sighed. "I can't keep secrets from him and now I'm gonna be trapped between y' both. What do I do when I'm in the room with both of you?"

  Matt became overwhelmed at the idea that now both of them had confessed their attraction to each other to him but made him promise not to tell the other. How was he supposed to keep this all to himself when he now knew Rosanna felt the same way as Alex? It was the last thing on earth that he expected to happen and it had him short of breath.

  "Just dont say anything!" The two of them sounded crazy. "There was no one else I could tell, I'm sorry."

  Matt sighed and rubbed his forehead, "it's okay. I'm sorry. I'm just very taken aback."

  "I know," Rosanna said and ran a hand through her hair.

  "Wait — how do you know? Are you sure?" Matt asked.

  Rosanna shrugged, "I don't know. I think so." She sighed and chewed on her lip, "you don't want me to bore you with the details do you?"

  "You can't bore me, I'm interested in what sparked this change of heart," Matt said honestly.

  "Well...I think I'm in love with him, and I think it's always been there but I've always tried to tell myself that I didn't; before because of Andy and later because I was scared," Rosanna said. "Cause I don't wanna ruin our friendship."

  Fuck me, their feelings are parallel, Matt said to himself.

  "I just...appreciate him so much and he's always making me happy and I don't want to live my life without him..." Rosanna said, painfully honestly. "Do you think that's love or do you think that I'm just confused and that it's just how friends are?"

  Matt sighed, "I don't wanna make any decisions for you. You've gotta follow your heart and wherever it leads you."

  Matt didn't want to interfere with their relationship. Now that he knew they both felt the same way he was certain they'd find each other; but it had to happen naturally. Matt didn't want to push them together or confuse them. He knew they would be the happiest together and knew it best if they found each other on their own and without his help.

  "So what does your heart say?" Matt asked.

There was a long silence. Rosanna sat, mind tumbling, as if her answer would set her future in stone as a helpless girl in love with her best friend.

"Don't think about it too hard, just say what you really believe," Matt said softly.

"I think..." Rosanna inhaled a deep breath. "Matt, I'm in love with him. I really am."

Matt swore under his breath. As much as he wanted to tell her "Alex is in love with you too" he knew it wasn't his place. He trusted that the two would realise that they shared the same feelings for each other at some point sooner or later but it was going to be a painfully silent road for Matt to travel on.