Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I took in a deep breath. Ryan stood by my side and clasped his hand around mine, trying to comfort me. I softly tapped on the door. It was just a small house. Nothing too special on the outside but the garden was absolutely beautiful and I was sure inside it would be just as interesting as my father’s cellar once was.

At first there was no answer but I knocked again, and again.

Eventually the door cracked open. There was a chain keeping it half closed and a woman leant against the door frame. Her hair was dark and silky and it framed her face in ringlets. Her eyes were dark too. They looked tired almost as if she hadn’t slept for days.

She looked straight into my eyes and didn’t look away. I wonder if she knew who I was because I was certain that she was my mother.

The door closed again and I heard the chain unlock and a groan. The door opened, fully this time. She stood there in the flesh wearing a long, black dress. Her feet were bare and there was an old looking cardigan wrapped around her frail shoulders.

“Come in, Annika.” She whispered sadly and grabbed my hand, pulling me inside.

She started to shut the door in Ryan’s face.

“Hey wait, what about my friend?” I asked her.

She smiled wryly. “You’re much like I used to be.” She flipped my hand and concentrated on my palm for a moment. “You’re strong and stubborn but far from fearless although you’d never let anyone see your vulnerability. Trust me, come inside and you’ll never have to. I can teach you.”

I stuttered for a second before turning to Ryan. I bit my lip and just stared at him.

He nodded once. “It’s okay I get it, call me when you need me. I’m going to have lunch.”

And with that my mother swung the door shut and pulled me into her home and sat me down at the bench. There were already two mugs of tea on the bench and she pushed one over to me. It was almost as if she’d known I was coming.

She could read minds too apparently. “I had a dream about it last night.”

I opened my mouth to say something and then closed it. “So it’s true?”

“What?” She asked.

I sighed and pulled dad’s diary out of my back pocket. “Everything written in this, you’re a witch?”

She looked slightly amused when she nodded. “Yes. So are you. I can tell. So could Damon.”

Damon. He was the mysterious boy from across the road. “Is he one too?”

She shook her head and watched me carefully almost as if she were contemplating on telling me the truth. “No.”