Chapter Nineteen

Barney POV

I'd say it was common knowledge that I, Barney Stinson loved to know secrets. But there was just some secrets, if you could even call this a secret, that I just didn't want to know.

'Barney! Did you hear me?!' Nora said in a furious whisper. 

I looked at her wide eyed, like a deer caught in the headlights.

I opened my mouth and I tried to make words I promise! But it was like my brain decided to stop working in that second.

'Barney, answer me!' More of the mouth gaping open, confused looking back and forth. I could see she was on the verge of going completely insane.

I looked behind me to see Mason give the nurses' a wave before disappearing down the hospital hallway and I swear I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So...I laughed.

I mean tears running down my face, almost pee my pants hysterically laugh. Why was it funny? You tell me, I could tell I was going to be in some serious trouble but I literally couldn't help myself. Nora gave me a hurt look, 

'Why are you laughing!' 

'I..Nora..Wait!' I tried to talk to her through the laughing but it just wasn't possible and she stormed away from me in the opposite direction. Oops. 

I didn't know what else to do so I sat on a little chair and tried to control my laughter for a second. I looked around for my phone, realising I hadn't saw it since I'd tried to get in touch with Robin but a kid waving at me caught my eye.

'Hey, Barney!' I looked up to see my eleven-year-old laser tag partner Tommy walking over to sit down in the chair next to me, 'What's so funny?'

'Tommy! Ah, you're too young to understand. What up with the cast?' 

'Busted my arm skateboarding, man. No big dealio, why was ya laughing so damn much?'

'Language, Tomcat. And it's a grown up thing, you seriously would not understand.'

'Try me.' 

'Ok...Ever had a secret so big it'd probably change people's lives?'

'Nope. That's what's so funny? Dude, I thought you was gonna tell me a good joke or somethin'!'

'Tommy pull up your pants and go find your mom, I gotta be somewhere alone with my thoughts and stuff.'

'Whoa, that's deep man.' Tommy had gotten into this habit of dressing like he was a 90's rapper and speaking like a stoner, I seriously hoped he would hurry up and grow out of it.

'Whatevs, little man.'

I jumped up and gave Tommy a wave. I guess I needed fresh air for my thoughts or something so I headed towards the exit. I ah, pondered what to do about this. Do I tell them...or let them figure this out for themselves? Man...my head was messed up. They were going to find out anyway pretty soon, they couldn't coincidentally all be in separate places at once all night, or however long Lil was going to be in labour.

A short doctor yelled at me for slamming doors as I neared the back exit of the hospital. I had my eyes fixed onto the tiled, blue floor as I walked down the brightly coloured and clean smelling hallway. In fact I was so focused on the ground that if she hadn't said my name, I would have walked right on past her.

'Barney!' My head snapped up to see Robin, her hair a mess, cheeks rosy and her bag clinging on for dear life to her shoulder as she hurried down the hall in my direction. In that wonderful moment, nothing mattered and I grabbed my girl and hugged her tightly. I tried to forget about Josh and Nora and the babies and Rebecca and everything in that moment. It was nice while it lasted.