Chapter Five

The bag is lifted off of my head. The place is dark, too dark to distinguish anything, except theres another person here. Strapped to a chair, the same as me. I attempt to move my hands or legs but neither move because their tied down. I look at the figure in front of me.

Their head hangs low, the bag still over their head. They have a strong build. Quite obviously a male.... Derek?

A door opens from somewhere behind me, small bits of light show throughout thr room but again, not enough to make anything definite. As masked man walks forward. Standing in the middle of me and the other figure.

The masked man rips the bag of the other persons head, and their head flips up quickly. I'm getting frustrated, not being able to know who it is.

The masked man now raises his hand and grips a small string coming from the roof and pulls. The light flickers on, and its dim, but this time I know who's sitting across from me. "Grace?"  They say.

"Stranger." I say.

"What are you doing here?" Oh my gosh.

I look down at my ties. "Yea this was totally my decision." I say sarcastically.

"I'm sorry,  it's just-" The man cuts his off by putting a gag in his mouth. He ties one around me, probably assuming I could maneuver enough to get it out without tying it.

"You two should take a moment to look at each other because the other is probably going to be the last face you see." They are gonna kill us. He exits the room and instantly when he leaves Asher starts maneuvering his mouth attempting to spit out his gag.

After a few minutes of trying he succeeds. "Grace if I'm gonna die here I don't want die without saying what I've been wanting to say." He takes a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I'm sorry I did it. I'm sorry that ultimately I was the one that gave you this kind of life. I'm so sorry. But I hope you know I love you. I love you so much, that I'm not sure if I want to live with you hating me. Please forgive me. I know I did something unforgivable, but I guess its my dying wish." I start sobbing but my sobs are muffled. "You deserve so much better, and I guess I attempted to be that for you, but you're too good for me. For everyone," He says with a laugh. "I understand you hate me." He says. But I muffle gibberish and he stops.

I shake my head. I don't hate him. I want to. I want to really bad. For everything hes done. But then, for the past month I'll go back to thinking of the Amusement Park, or the beach, or thr prank, and I notice, I don't really hate him. I was angry. I was so angry, and I pushed it all towards him, and I taught myself that no one can be trusted and no one can love me, so when someone can, and does, I have to ruin it. He didn't kill my mother. He was a kid. He didn't mean to. But he did lie. But that lie isn't enough to trump how I feel about him.

"You don't hate me?" He asks. I shake my head no. "Thank you Grace." He says, in a voice that implies he knows his death is awaiting.

The door opens again and a man enters. "Why is your gag off!?!" The man yells. He then takes the zip ties off of Asher but zip ties his hand behind his back. "If you move at all, I'll shoot her."

Asher doesn't move other than where he is told to move. "Over here." He says, pushing Asher to stand right in front of me. "Now kneel." Obeying him, Asher kneels. He whips out a gun and puts a bag over his head again. I scream multiple things into the gag.

The man walks over to me and takes off the gag. "Say what you wanna say." He says. "Before he's gone."

"Asher." I say. I choke on my own words. "Asher I'm so sorry. I should've talked to you. I should've attempted to work things out. I should've told you about my dad before it got out of hand. I should've done so much more." My breathing is shallow. "Asher I don't hate you, I don't hate you at all. Asher you've been there for me so much. Thank God for you. That day when you took me to the amusement park, and got me all those things on your birthday. Asher please know I don't hate you. I never could." I stop for a moment as my sobs clog my throat. "I love you." I say with tears running down my face.