Fathers and Daughters

"What do you think of my new gown, Regina?" Snow asked, standing in the middle of her stepmother's sitting room. She gave a little twirl so Regina could see the full dress.

Now that she was a woman, gone were her dresses made of frills and lace with short sleeves and satin sashes. This was her first dress made in the style Regina and the other ladies at court wore and she felt very grown up. It had a cinched bodice that showed off how her breasts were starting to grow and a full skirt over three pairs of petticoats. Her sleeves puffed out at the shoulder and then narrowed as it approached her wrist. It was made of gold and black brocade with pearl buttons decorating her bodice and black lace lining her neckline.

Johanna had curled it and left it down to fall over her shoulders though it was pinned away from her face with pearl hair pins. She had also applied some rouge to Snow's cheeks and lips as well as kohl on her eyes. Daddy had given her a new pearl necklace to wear with it as well as a matching bracelet. All of it combined to make Snow feel very grown up.

"You look beautiful," Regina said, though she didn't sound very excited.

Snow stopped, frowning as she looked at her stepmother. Regina sat at her vanity in her dark blue gown with jewels sewn into the bodice. Beautiful diamond earrings hung from her lobes, matching the chandelier necklace that cascaded down until the point reached right between her breasts. Her dark curls were pinned up and jewels were placed amongst them, making her look every inch a queen in Snow's mind. Yet despite how beautiful she looked, an air of sadness surrounded Regina.

"Regina, what's wrong?" she asked, stepping closer.

"I'm just tired," Regina replied.

Snow frowned. "From planning the ball?"

"Yes." Regina's tone was brisk and she didn't meet Snow's eyes. That unnerved her and she frowned, wondering why Regina was lying to her.

She decided to let it be for the moment, especially when something in Regina's jewelry box caught her eye. Reaching out, Snow picked up a ruby encrusted brooch in the shape of a rose. It had been a gift from Daddy to her mother, a token of his love, and Mother had worn it all the time as a token of hers.

"Where did you get this?" she asked, picking up the brooch.

Regina glanced over at it. "Oh. Your father gave it to me."

"It was my mother's," Snow told her excitedly. She held it out to Regina. "You should wear it."

"It doesn't go with my outfit," Regina replied, not even looking at the brooch again. She remained focused on her reflection in the mirror.

Snow frowned. "But Daddy gave it to you."

"I know." She sounded very dismissive of that fact and it didn't sit well with Snow.

Perhaps her father hadn't explained the significance of the brooch to Regina. He sometimes wasn't very forthcoming about his emotions, especially around her, and so it was possible she just didn't understand what it meant for him to give it to her. Snow, though, could.

"Daddy gave this to my mother to show how much he loved her," she said, holding it out to Regina again. "He gave it to you because he wants to show you how much he loves you."

"He told me that, yes," Regina replied, growing agitated. "Please, put it away, Snow."

Snow shook her head. "You have to wear it, Regina. It's a symbol of Daddy's love and so you have to wear it as a symbol of your love for him! That's why Mother wore it all the time."