Capture the Royal Flag

Adalynn could hardly contain her joy.

Despite her numerous journeys upside, this had been her absolute first where she was allowed to go.

Her father reiterated his firm warning that should she behave uncouthly, Bernal would drag her swiftly back down into the castle and lock her away for all eternity. His scouting party had gone ahead down the southern area whilst she led her brother over to the eastern shore.

The sun wrapped its warmth around her, as if eager to prove just how terribly it missed her.

Numerous branches lay dead and broken from the strength of the storm the previous night and she could barely keep up with her brother for she kept tripping over the wet debris.

It did not help that she had brought out her new book. Truthfully, she did not know what had possessed her to bring it out but now she had to step gingerly through the chaos for fear of tripping and getting the book sopping wet.

"Do you recall where it was?" he called back to her as he scouted ahead with his bow at the ready for the slightest hint of danger.

"Not exactly," she admitted unhappily as she too scoured the green, damp floor of the forest for her precious knapsack. Fingering her new necklace, she squinted into the dark foliage that came up to her mid-thigh and hoped against hope that she would discover it before some other wretched soul would.

"Why do you want that ugly thing so badly anyways? I am quite certain I can find you a prettier purse," Bernal claimed as he fell back to her side, his bow drawn taut and ready.

"It is not the bag itself but rather what the bag contained," she explained as she pushed aside a particularly wet branch.

"You went into the wreckyard again, did you not Linny?" he accused and Adalynn froze and gave him her best, most winning smile.

"I was merely curious," she cautioned but Bernal shook his head.

"It is a remarkable that you are not yet dead," he muttered as he blazed ahead, irate with his childish sister.

Silence fell between them, punctured only by their heavy steps and the frequent snapping of a twig underfoot.

Suddenly, Adalynn spied the filthy canvas knapsack and with a victorious cry, she leapt upon it and immediately checked upon the contents of the bag. The ivory comb was intact, and the filigree broach was still there. Stuffing her storybook into the waterproof bag, Adalynn slung it around her shoulders.

Satisfied, Adalynn showed Bernal her findings and with a dry smile, he urged them back but she stood, reluctant to move.

"Brother? As this is my very last visit, grant me one last thing?" she pleaded, her voice hopeful and small.

"No."

"But you had not heard it yet!" she cried out and stamped her foot in distress.

"No, I do not want to hear it and I do not want to even think about it. You have found what you desired now let us go back with the rest of the group. It is not safe for you out here."

"But I am not alone! You are with me! You can protect me from anything!" she cried out as she clutched onto his arm.

Bernal gave her a wry grin and shook his head.

"There are some things that even a big brother cannot control," he explained cryptically but she would have none of that. He glanced around, undoubtedly searching for their father's party as they were to meet up before heading back down into the castle.

"All I would desire to see is the beach one last time. Please, that is all! I simply want to see the ocean," she pressed and after much deliberation, Bernal reluctantly conceded.