Escape

The sun hid shamefully behind a wispy gray cloud, afraid to shine upon the clattering carriage that rambled down the street.

Thoughtless calls of fish and silk for sale rang with chaotic clarity through the muggy sea air as peddlers fought valiantly for their wares to be sold.

Although Tal had drawn sheer, gauzy curtains across the small carriage windows, bursts of vibrant blues and yellows would slither into the dark space and coax a glimmer of curiosity from the young girl.

Adalynn was the very picture of a forlorn princess as she sat primly on the far side of the carriage opposite of Tal and stared out the window, internally marveling at the festive atmosphere that swirled unforgiving and magnificent around her.

It would indeed appear as if some joyous occasion was occurring for there were scads of people flitting to and fro, from booth to booth, and many of them seemed to be dancing across the street, contributing to the slow and sluggish pace that their driving seemed to be making, despite his vocal efforts to thrust people from his path.

For a moment, Adalynn was grateful for their tortoise progress for every moment that delayed her dismal future was one moment of peace and hope.

Tal had gone to the trouble of dressing her up before presenting her, as if decorating the roast pig before a feast. Adorned with glittering jewels and a beautifully styled cream dress, Adalynn could have certainly been a small angel amongst mere mortals. Her knapsack was tucked at her side after she firmly held onto it, unable to relinquish it to Tal. In the end, he had merely let her keep it after seeing it contained only her storybook. He had taken the filigree brooch for his own, however.

Tal had been in an extremely good mood as he waxed on and on about the man that he had scheduled to purchase Adalynn from him. He seemed to be prominent man, who dealt in the shady and despicable business of peddling humans to the highest bidder. Unfortunately, it seemed to be a terribly lucrative business, and Tal had managed to capture the golden calf for slaughter.

 Unable to withstand the panic that threatened to overwhelm her, Adalynn prayed desperately for a chance to escape.

It seemed that fate had decided to be kind to her that day, for all at once, the carriage rumbled to an abrupt halt. Adalynn barely had time to steady herself as she watched Tal stick his head out the window and bellow angrily.

"What is the meaning of this!" he thundered as he tapped a walking stick against the rooftop and the coachman's muffled explanation wafted in, barely audible.

Knowing in her heart that she had been given this moment from a divine force, Adalynn discreetly gripped the handle of the carriage door as she watched with her large, haunting gaze. She slid her knapsack around her other arm, keeping it hidden from view.

Tal threw a disgruntled glance at her and seemingly deeming her as unthreatening, he barreled out the carriage.

In the blink of an eye, Adalynn slipped off her tottering slippers and slunk out of the carriage. Crouching low, she waited, watching, and timed the close of her door with Tal's steady slam.

With a silent air that seemed to be lent from angels above, Adalynn sprinted, weaving between startled people as if a slippery fish in the water. Small pebbles dug deep into  her feet, yet the pain prickling at her was nothing in comparison to the sheer numbness of the stark realization that she was all alone in a country that was unbeknownst to her.

Ignoring the gasps and surprised shouts of men and women jumping out of the way from her flight, Adalynn twisted and turned down writhing alleyways until she found herself at the edge of the shoreline, far from the town square where she had abandoned her terrible fate for the unknown. Without a moment of hesitation, she fumbled her jewels off her person and shimmied out of the ornate gown, leaving her with only sheer undergown to offer her modesty. The less conspicuous she was, the better despite her rather revealing slip.