Battle Scars | 19

Chres turns to me and puts his hands onto my shoulders.

"Chres we've gotta go out-"

"No," he cuts me off,"you two go. I'll be fine."

"No," I shake my head,"we aren't leaving without you."

"Jessica listen to me-"

"No Chres you listen to me! You will not take the fall for this! They're going to get locked up and then we'll be fine! We all need to go!" I begin to tear up.

He shakes his head with a sigh before squatting down and rubbing Willow's arms.

"You know I love you right Willow?"

She nods her head smiling a bit.

"And you know I'd never do anything to hurt you."

"We're coming in, in 10 seconds!" The police voice yells.

"Yeah..." Willow whispers quietly.

"But I'm gonna be gone for a long time, and I need you to be a big girl. Can you do that for me?"

"One!"

Willow shakes her head no and lets out a loud cry clutching onto Chres. He groans a bit standing up with her still hugging onto him. He moves closer to me and pulls me into him.

"I love you so much Jessica."

"Two!"

"I know," I cry,"and I love you too."

"Please stop crying, I'm gonna see you again."

"Three!"

"You promise?" Willow sniffles.

I look up at him as Willow stares into his eyes. He lets a few tears drop before nodding his head.

"Yeah," he nods again,"I promise."

"Five!"

I clutch on tighter to Chres as the room feels like it starts to spin. Almost like its only us three. I block out the count down, I block out the flickering light, I block out Willow's cries, I block out the men laying unconscious on the ground, and I block out the police lights & sirens. The only thing that can be heard, is the rhythm beating of all of our hearts.

Before I even realize it, I hear a loud boom. I'm snatched off of Chres's body and back to reality.

"No!" I cry."Let go of me! Get off of me!"

"Ma'am I'm only here to help you." The police growls tightening his grip on me.

I look ahead of me to see three policemen wrestling Chresanto to the ground. I look to my right and see a police carrying Willow out gently.

"Chres," I whimper.

He mouths a quick I love you to me before I'm escorted out of the house and onto the front lawn. There's hundreds of police cars and large ambulance lights out. My eyes dart all around the place in search of Willow.

"Where is she?" I look at the officer,"Where is Willow?"

He remains silent and walks me to the cop car.

"Get in."

"Why? W-Where are you taking me?"

"Would you feel more comfortable with an ambulance man?"

I nod. He nods as well and ushers me over to the ambulance truck. They assist me onto the bed and strap me down. I wiggle a bit and look down. I notice Willow going into a different ambulance's truck. I shake my head no quickly and look at the officer.