Battle Scars | 9

The next morning Chresanto goes back to see if they'll be there. They weren't. When he comes back we all decide to walk to the mart near the hospital. Surprisingly Willow doesn't complain. I don't see what her dad meant. Willow is literally a little angel. She hasn't talk much. She hasn't whined. She hasn't complained. So what is the big deal?

"You two go on in the mart, I'll check the hospital." Chresanto says the minute we stop.

"Alright." I shrug.

I grab ahold of Willow's hand and we stride into the mart. As always it's empty. Nothing but employees waltzing around. I take her into the bathroom and prop her on my knee so she can brush her teeth. I quickly brush mine as well and we're out in the blink of an eye.

---

While walking out Chresanto arrives right back in the spot we were before. I look at him for hope but to my dismay, no sign of her parents.

"So what happened?" I whisper.

"They said her parents checked in last night and checked out earlier this morning." He whispers back.

"How early?"

"Five O'clock."

I close my eyes with a sigh and run my fingers through my hair. There is no way they could just leave her like that. How?

"So now what?" He raises an eyebrow.

"I guess we have to keep her ..." I look down at her.

"How? We can barely provide for ourselves?!"

"Chresanto what do you want me to do? I'm not just leaving her here and I'd turn myself in before I send her to an orphanage!"

My nostrils flare as I turn away from him and focus my attention on Willow. She's staring at us sadly but weirdly.

"You guys love each oder?" She whispers.

"What?" Chresanto and I ask in unison.

"Mommy and daddy always fight. And when I ask bout it, she say dey love each oder."

That's terrible. Incredibly terrible.

"Yes," I squat down,"we love each other very much Willow." I sigh.

"Look," Chres sighs interrupting us,"let's just head back to the van."

"Walk in front of us Willow." I gently push her in front of us.

With a skip in her walk she clings to her bear and goes ahead.

"I'm not giving her up." I mutter facing my attention forward.

"I know,"he sighs,"and I wouldn't want you to."

My eyes widen as I look up at him. He's grinning at me, adding that little smirk.

"Serious? We can keep her?"

"I understand that you feel neglected by your own family, so I can see where you're coming from. You want better for her clearly. But what I'm trying to get you to understand is that it's going to take a lot. No more just you. No more just me. It's us. We're a family now. A strange family."

I don't know what it is but he has me blushing. Maybe it's because he read me like a book or maybe it's because it's true. I do want a family. I do want better for Willow, ever since I first laid eyes on her. I want her to live better than I did and I can honestly say I'll do anything to make sure that happens.

--

"Jessica I have to pee..." Willow says as soon as we arrive at the van.

I look around and see nothing but trailers.