Chapter 17

Peter walked into school with a frown on his face and eyes that were swirling pools of confusion. The night before he had gone out to search for the terrorist guy, Ralph Emerson, and had actually tracked him down using the scanner that he had had Karen set up. He followed to guy to a library, and waited outside for him to come back out. Fast forward 6 hours he still hadn't left, and Peter had fallen off a building because he had fallen asleep while perched on the roof. Needless to say, Peter was tired from staying up all night, sore from when he fell and landed on solid concrete, and confused.

Why was that guy in a library for so long? Why did he never come out? I don't think he was doing any work for school or anything because when I saw him Karen did a scan and she said he didn't attend any college. Maybe his lair is underneath or something? No, that wouldn't make sense. I had Karen scan the building and there was nothing there. I tried to see where he was too, but there were two many people to know which one was him. This is so confusing! What on Earth could he have been doing in a library for hours and hours?!

He found Ned by his locker and approached him. "Woah, you look terrible," Ned said when he saw Peter approach. Ned had been at Peters the night before, and had fallen asleep while Peter was waiting, so he already knew everything. He had gone home at around 3am when Peter finally got back. "I honestly just want today to be over with and to be back in my bed, but I can't," Peter said as he leaned against the lockers, rubbing his eyes. "Why can't you? You're not going out again tonight are you?" Ned said with a tone that implied he already knew the answer.

"I have to Ned." Ned sighed and closed his locker. "No, you don't. You're not going to be able to stop this guy if you're this tired. You need to sleep." Peter walked with Ned down the hall towards their first class. "Maybe I should just skip today, stay at home and sleep. That way I would be better by tonight." Ned sighed again and shook his head. "Peter, you're missing the point. They wont do anything tonight, and you should just go home and rest." Peter thought about what he said. Should I just stay home tonight? Maybe I should skip school. I mean I could sleep and eat at home and such. But then I wouldn't see MJ- hey speak of the devil.

Michelle turned out from around a corner holding about five books in her arms, and looked a bit more cheerful that she usually does. "I think MJ went book shopping again," Peter said, thinking out loud. "How can you tell?" Ned asked, looking at Peter with amused curiosity. "Well, she has more than one book, so she probably couldn't decide which to bring today and just brought a few instead. And she usually gets more books every month or so, and its been a while since last time. On top of that she looks happy, and the only thing I've ever really seen make her happy was her books so..."

When Peter finished he didn't hear Ned say anything, so he turned to look at him and was surpised to see him looking right at Peter with an eyebrow raised and a weird expression. "What?" Peter said, geinueingly confused as to what Ned was looking at him like that for. Ned shook his head and looked back down the hall, "Nothing." Weird... They kept walking down the hall until they made it to their classroom. Michelle had already grabbed a seat, and was holding two of the books she was carrying earlier up, staring at the cover intensly. "Morning MJ," Peter said as they entered. She didn't look up from her book, just gave a quick nod of her head and said "sup."

Peter smiled lightly to himself, guessing that she was debating over which book to read and not being able to choose. "Oh," Michelle said as they passed her, causing them both to stop and turn to look at her. "We have an emergency decathlon meeting this afternoon. It won't take too long but it's important." Ned and Peter exchanged curious looks between them. "Okay, we'll be there. Right, Peter?" Ned said as he nudged Peter in the stomach, a clear indication to him that Peter couldn't skip school and go home like he had wanted.