thirty eight

hey guys, sorry for the wait, school got a bit over-whelming. I have like 3 exams that count towards my GCSE at the moment, so I've got to prepare for them at the moment (ew), BUT ANYWHO HERE YOU GO WITH THE NEXT UPDATE ((also sorry if there are any mistakes i'm exhausted and it's like midnight so yOU'RE WELCOME))

// chapter thirty eight //

I was so not ready to do this.

I'd been standing outside the door for a good ten minutes, every now and then reaching up to knock but then my courage would disappear and I'd just stand there.

Taking in a deep breath of air, the cool crispness burning the back of my throat, I reached out my hand for the fifth time and went to knock on the pale wooden door of the house. My hand was halfway to knocking when the door was ripped open, causing my hand to freeze in mid-air, and a pair of arms sprung forward and pulled me at inhuman speed inside the house, engulfing me in a crushing half-hug, half death squeeze. I let out a yelp of surprise as Stefan slammed the door shut out after me, his arms tightening around my slightly smaller frame while his eyes darted in every direction possible.

"Damon! She's back!" He screamed into the empty hall, causing me to frown in confusion. They'd been waiting for me?

Like I understood the fact that I'd been missing for about a week and they were obviously waiting for me to come home, but how did they know when I was coming home?

I didn't have a long time to dwell in my confusion before our older brother practically flew down the stairs and ran up to me, immediately taking my face in his hands and studying me carefully, all whilst Stefan still had me wrapped up in his arms.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? Did they do anything to you? How do you feel? How many fingers am I holding up?" At that I scowled, reaching up my arm to swat his away not appreciating the condescension.

"Guys I'm fin-" I didn't even get to finish my sentence as Damon frowned, releasing my face and darting out the door, leaving Stefan and I alone in the hall once again. What the hell was happening? I thought they'd be happy to see me and would be worried, but this was ridiculous. I was just wandering in my thoughts for a moment when I grunted, Stefan continuing to tighten his grip.

"Stef," I called out, patting his shoulder gently as best as I could, "you can let go now."

"No," he said quickly, burying his face in my shoulder. "You might run off again."

I stiffened, head turning to scowl at the side of his face as he remained hidden. "I didn't run off, thank you very much." I defended myself a slight feeling of offence washing over me at the fact that they thought I'd just run off and leave them.

"Wait," he said, pulling back and staring at me. "What?" His eyebrows scrunched in confusion. I stared back at him, trying to ignore his continuously tightening grip on my shoulders as I remained silent. A few moments passed before he began to grow impatient. "Brook, what the hell are you talking about?" he ground out threw gritted teeth. I scowled at him, the familiar and more impatient side of my twin coming out in full blast while I continued to stare in silence. I wasn't about to rat Liam and his family out for the sake of my brother's being able to sleep at night because they suddenly knew what happened to me.

They could just take some sleeping pills.

"Brook," he pressed the tone of his voice demanding and slightly whiny. I pushed at his shoulders, pushing him away from me as I rolled my eyes.

"Jeez, Stef, chill a bit, will you?"

"What do you mean, 'you didn't run off'?" he called after me as I kicked off my shoes and rolled my shoulders as I walked past him, just wanting to crawl into bed and argue about this tomorrow. "Brooklyn Salvatore!" The use of my full name caused me to freeze at the top of the stairs, my eyes staring at the carpet on the floor and my hand gripping the banister tightly in my grip. I shot him a glare over my shoulder.