ONE

Watching the blood run over the brown leather of one of the dragon's saddles, I felt my heart pull and thud wildly

Watching the blood run over the brown leather of one of the dragon's saddles, I felt my heart pull and thud wildly. This blood belonged to one of our own. One of our own that would sadly never be seen again. Placing the once white cloth into a metal bucket full of water, I felt my heart sink more as I watched the water begin to turn red.

Once William and I had managed to walk outside to assess the damage, we were informed that Matthew had been killed along with his dragon. As soon as I had gotten word from Talios that Matthew was killed by Markus, my heart had shattered into a million pieces. Although Matthew never spoke much with us, we had gone through so much together. If it wasn't for Matthew I wouldn't be here. He had sacrificed so much to help the cause and now, he's dead. Although to die fighting for your country was an honor, I couldn't help but feel his death was too soon.

William had been horrified when he found out. Since then he had been obsessed about getting back at all those who killed his men. I remember the first night I heard all those people's screams. I heard them scream for hours before I couldn't take it anymore.

When I had arrived at the courtyard, half of the men were already killed. William had stood there with swords in his hands, slowly and deliberately slicing into each one of them as slowly as he could. This wasn't the William I knew, and I feared he was changing.

Since that night, he had hauled himself into his room. It was rare we saw him now. The only times we would see him is for meetings, or when he made his way into my room late at night. Those nights I would wake with his arms around my waist. I never questioned him. I knew he needed me as much as I had needed him.

Sighing, I threw the cloth back into the water. Staring at Matthew's saddle, tears brimmed in my eyes. It wasn't fair. No one deserved to die. As I continued to gaze at the leather, I began to hear small whispers in my mind. As if in a trance, I slowly placed my hand over the damp sticky leather. Taking in a deep breath everything around me went black.

Screams echoed around me as loud groans were heard from behind me. Turning around, the scene in front of my eyes had me stumbling back in shock. Fighting Markus was Matthew. His left arm was cut badly, as it dangled at his side. Using his right arm, Matthew swung the sword at Markus only for it to miss him.

Matthew was covered in sweat, and as it dripped down his skin it washed the blood away with it. Behind him laying on the ground was his Dragon. The side of his neck was sliced open till the bone. Placing a hand over my mouth I fought the bile that tried to surface.

Matthew had seen his dragon die and without him, Mathew would now grow weaker. A loud scream had my eyes snapping back to the scene. Matthew staggered in his steps before tripping. Landing on the side of his dragon's body where his saddle laid, Matthew let a small whimper leave his lips.

He was pale as his eyes drifted over to gaze at his dragon. Letting his tears fall, Matthew moved his gaze back to Markus who was looming closer to him. Smirking up at Markus, Matthew let the sword in his hand drop.