Chapter 1

PROLOGUE

This was officially the worst day ever. I was amazed at how many things had occurred today. As I mulled this thought over in my head, my friend Jason walked beside me, shoulders slumped in defeat. I sighed and guiltily patted his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Jason. This is all my fault," I mumbled.

Jason stilled. He swayed on his feet. His light green eyes sparkled in the afternoon sun, and the sun formed an orangey halo around his brown hair. He looked down at me for a moment. Then, he finally spoke. "It's alright, Esmeralda. I know that you didn't mean for this to happen. Stuff like this... it simply happens. We all have our own secrets to hide. I understand that you just had darker ones," he shrugged, squinting against the sun.

I grimaced at that. "I just found those secrets out yesterday, Jase," I said, using the nickname I'd been using for him since we were kids.

"That's true. I'm sorry if I came out as rude right now. I know how hard this is for you," he replied ashamedly.

I bit my lip. "It's alright. I understand. But-"

Just then, he walked past us.The starter of it all. The cause of our dilemma. He glared at me with pure, utmost hatred. It was completely discernable; this boy would be the cause of my distruction.

Sebastian Eden.

CHAPTER 1

I sauntered past Jason, showing off my brand new dress. The dress I was destined to wear for the biggest party of my life; the winter ball dance my school was the hosting on December 20th, just five days from now.

I had bought the intricately designed dress for the occasion. It was a silky midnight-blue dress, flowy, and tight around all the right places. It hugged my body in a complimenting way, and I loved it. It reached my ankles, and was long sleeved. The best part of it was that it was perfect for the occasion; it didn't show a lot of skin, and it was warm enough for the season.

I noticed Jason's eyes rake over my body appreciatively.  He gave a low whistle and chuckled. "Wow, Esmeralda. I, uh, think you look great in that dress," he mumbled awkwardly, the words tripping over themselves as they escaped his lips. He furrowed his brow and coughed awkwardly.

I blushed beet red at his words.  "Thanks," I mumbled. I was truly flattered by his words, and I gave him a bashful smile, peeking at him from beneath my lashes.

Jason coughed yet again, and I could notice a slight shade of rosy red rise in his cheeks. "Anyway, uh, what are you doing today after school?" He asked, his tone colored with embarrassment.

I frowned and bit my lip. "I'm not so sure. Catherine wanted to hang out with the gang after school. Joseph is supposedly planning to ask her to the winter ball... I'm not sure that'll even happen," I snorted contemptuously.

Jason's eyes widened. "Oh, really? I didn't know that Joseph liked Catherine. That's nice, though. Joseph is my best friend. Hopefully Catherine doesn't hurt him too terribly, " Jason teased, grinning, exposing his square white teeth.

I smiled back. "You idiot. Of course she's not going to hurt him. She's my best friend, of course," I said.

Jason grinned. "Right," he drawled. "So then it's settled. They're going to the winter ball together," he stated simply.

I gasped. "Oh, you sound disappointed! Don't tell me you were planning to ask her!"

Jason scoffed. "Of course not. I'm not even planning on going," he mumbled.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Of course you're going. If I'm obliged to go by Catherine, then so are you!"

Jason's green eyes widened at the injustice. "No, I'm not meant to go, Esmeralda. I don't do this type of thing. I was planning on going to the park to test out my new skateboard that day, anyway-"

"No buts, mister! You're going and that's the final word! We'll even find you a date or something. But I will not let you miss out. If I'm not missing get out, then you aren't, either!"

Jason harumphed and blue his brown bangs out of his face. "Fine," he said after a moment, giving in.

I laughed. "Don't look so horrified! It'll be fun, I promise!"

But boy, was I wrong. I had no idea what a disasterous, chaotic day awaited me.

I was too naive for my own good.