12. A Mystery

Chapter - 12

LOVE IS... A MYSTERY

"It's only in the mysterious equation of love that any logic or reasons can be found." - Sylvia Nasar

"What are you talking about?" I looked pointedly towards my friend, trying to make her understand my lie. "I love romantic movies." I stressed way too much on 'love' and looked towards the devil, who was still looking at me with a wicked smirk on his handsome bearded face. 

 "Why won't you? You are the writer of the 'Love Column' after all." Jacob frowned a bit. 

I shot him a smile and added, "Exactly! That's why we are going to watch some romantic movie now." 

Steph laughed a bit, still oblivious to my lie and Jacob grinned looking at her, while Ashton still chose to glare in my direction. "I want to watch If Only," Steph told us and jumped towards the television. She didn't look anything like she did this morning and I was glad about it. She looked happy, not over the moon, completely happy but a lot better than earlier. 

A growl from my left made me look from Steph to Ashton as he looked majorly pissed off at the moment. "We are going to watch this only and not some lame romantic movie," he said with his jaw clenched. "This is one of my favorite movies. Heath Ledger was incredible in this one," he commented and I wanted to nod my head in a 'yes' readily. But, no! This was my chance of making Ashton watch a romantic movie and maybe, just maybe, he would get the slightest bit sad after watching this movie. Maybe all his 'love is sh*t' version was nothing but a facade. 

Narrowing my eyes at him, I went towards him and hissed, "Ashton!" 

"What?" He was back to glaring at me and for a moment, I again pondered over the cause of him being so angry at me. 

I glanced towards Stephanie and Jacob to make sure that they were not looking in our direction and found them looking through the stack of DVDs to find the DVD of 'If Only'. With narrowed eyes, I hissed at him, "Steph just broke up with her friend... um... or boyfriend, whatever you want to call him. So let her watch the movie she wants to." I was dead serious as I told him this. She had been a good friend by watching one part of the batman series even though she was going through an emotional turmoil, and now it was my turn to bear romantic movies in her support. Add to that, I had an advantage of making Ashton watch this movie. 

He raised his eyebrows at me after nodding his head in understanding and asked, "Then why were you not watching such crappy movies earlier?" 

I searched for an answer in my mind while he looked at me skeptically. Furrowing my eyebrows, I answered him, "I didn't feel like and I wanted to divert her mind from that jerk." 

He nodded his head and mumbled, "Good." 

I was left speechless for a second or two at the very little yet unexpected compliment from him as it was the first I had heard from him till now. "Yeah," I mumbled back and sat down beside him, biting my lip suddenly feeling a bit taken aback. I looked at Ashton whose eyes were gazing in deep interest at the walls of my living room or rather at the various photos of my family that I had pinned on the walls."There is nothing interesting in my life," I told him in a little voice. It was true. My life was dull and boring. 

 He shrugged his shoulders and mumbled, "I don't think so."

Before I could say anything in reply and interrogate him about what he meant by that, a sudden vibration made me jump slightly. I looked back at Ashton and saw that he was still looking at my pictures from afar with deep interest, not taking notice of the vibration. "You are vibrating," I told him.