38. Unrequited

CHAPTER – 38 (Super unedited)

LOVE IS... UNREQUITED

'Problems can be fixed, but unrequited love is a tragedy.' – Suzanne Harper

Day - 17

I remember how I had believed in a few of the rumors that float around about Ashton before I met him. During the last sixteen days that I had spent with him, I could give a statement in the highest court of law declaring that almost all of those rumors were exactly what they were called – 'rumors' - circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

People just never knew that what exactly he did for a living, and when they couldn't find out anything, they termed his as the 'good for nothing', spoilt younger kid of Parkers. Ashton was not a drug addict, but he was called as one due to Ryan Parker's plot against him. He had never been in an asylum. Neither had he ever been charged for something like drunk driving. And sure as hell, there were no snakes or any other wild pets in his apartment.

But, there was one rumor that I, myself, believed a bit, and that was about Ashton's playboy ways.

"I was a shy little kid, Liana. Don't you remember what my best friend told you? How the f*ck can you call me a player?" he asked, placing aside the popcorn bowl I had given to him. We were sitting on Ashton's very comfortable couch in his apartment, with something being played on television right opposite us. We were way too busy in talking to each other to bother about the television.

The smug smile from my face faltered a bit and I asked in utter confusion, "Which best friend?"

Rolling his eyes, he said with an irritated scowl on his face, "If you think I'll tell you his name like this, you're sadly mistaken."

I pouted. "C'mon, tell me! Even Stephanie knows. Why am I the only one who doesn't know?"

"Why did you call me a player?" He narrowed his eyes at me, unhappy with me calling him a player and with the distraction I was trying to create.

Sighing, I sat down on the couch beside him and asked him, "Are you seriously asking this question from me, Ashton? Don't you remember Mrs. Hocking and her daughter that we had met in the beginning of this assignment? You had done it with both of them on the same trip, or maybe on the same night."

He chuckled a bit as if remembering that day. "That was a funny day. Don't you think so?" I shot him a 'be serious' look, so he continued a bit seriously, "Okay. That was a one time thing. And no, I hadn't f*cked them on the same night."

"Wow. Don't I feel elated?" I huffed the sarcastic remark. He shot an innocent smile in my direction, which made me narrow my eyes at him in annoyance. "And what about the time when you told me that you liked to travel because you get to bang girls of different countries? Oh, and what about the many perverted remarks you passed on me?"

He had the audacity to laugh at it, but when he noticed that his laughter and joy were completely one sided, he calmed down and justified his actions as if they were completely obvious. "That was so much fun. I liked riling you up from the beginning. You look hot when you blush."

I scowled at him, ignoring the fact that he had called me 'hot'. "This is so not funny, Ashton."

"Holy sh*t! You look f*cking hotter when you scowl." He smirked, making me blush and adopt violent methods like picking up a pillow and throwing it at him. He caught it with ease and continued laughing. "I like the feisty Liana. Nice!"