Chapter 11 - A Moment Of Silence

‘So much for fresh air,’ Freya said as she exited the freshly dug tunnel and entered a new, much bigger underground cavern. But this wasn’t something Mother Nature had concocted, no this was man-made, this was a lair.

‘Wow,’ Wendy said, ‘It’s really pretty.’ She ran over to the eastern wall and stroked her hand along one of the ten or so stone pillars that adorned the cavern.

Freya eyed the stairs on the far wall. They were wooden and looked very old, but they would do the trick.

‘We should probably keep moving,’ Freya said without any real enthusiasm.

‘Can’t we just stay a little while? I think we should explore, who knows what wonderful mysteries this place might hold.’ Wendy’s voice echoed off the cavern ceiling and bounced off the walls until it reach Freya.

‘They could be terrifying as well Wendy…’

‘Eh, bring it on!’

Freya smiled at her younger friend.

‘I love your enthusiasm kiddo, but we can’t afford to be reckless.’

‘Reckless huh? Tell me something Freya, where are we?’

‘In a cavern, under the ground…’

‘And what is under the ground?’

‘Um..us?’

‘No, what was under the ground before we got here and will still be there after?’

Freya looked around as if she were playing a game of I Spy.

‘Dirt…rocks. Ah, I understand now Wendy. Good thinking, but I’ve already got a pouch full of stones.’

Wendy rolled her eyes.

‘Could it hurt to have a few more? Hell, it would probably pay to stop here for a day and train.’

Wow, Freya thought to herself. This whole cage-fighting thing has really helped young Wendy find her voice. She has a point too. We’re in no real hurry. Except...poor Smokey, I’ll be there soon baby.

‘You know what Wendy, you’re right.’ Freya joined her by the pillar.

‘I know I’m right,’ Wendy said with a grin. ‘I’m always right.’

Freya laughed and removed the pouch of stones from her pocket and took a seat on the ground. She tipped the stones gently into her palm and touched each one delicately. She picked up the Emerald and smiled.

‘Boy, this thing really saved our behind didn’t it?’

Wendy nodded.

‘My dad would make a lame joke right about now. He’d say, “It was a very moving experience” or something like that.’

Freya laughed.

‘You know what though? Lena seemed genuinely surprised that the Emerald was in there didn’t she?’

‘Yeah, I reckon she’ll need a fresh pair of undies in the morning.’

‘Wendy!’ Freya said with wide eyes and she reached over to tap Wendy on the head but she was too quick and spritely and avoided her with ease.

‘Have to try harder than that, old woman!’

Freya dropped her mouth open in a rather exaggerated manner.

‘Old woman is it?’ Freya said, picking up the Hematite, ‘Could an old woman do this?’

Freya clasped the Hematite and it grew longer and longer until it resembled a 6 foot long staff.