Chapter 13 - Escape

Freya and Wendy whipped their heads around. Standing against the far wall was a young man – brown hair, brown eyes. His face was dirty and he had scratches and bruises all over him. Tattered rags for clothes.

Freya stepped in front of Wendy and her new found pet.

‘Who the hell are you?’ she asked sternly.

‘What does it matter who I am?’ the young man said with an undeniably charming smile. Wendy couldn’t help but swoon a little, but Freya’s resolve was iron clad.

‘It matters because maybe you’re here to capture us. Maybe you’re here to kill us.’ Freya paused to take a deep breath. ‘So again, who the hell are you?’

The young man took a few steps forward.

‘Uh uh.’ Freya said shaking her head slowly. ‘Stay right there.’

‘Maybe he’s alright,’ Wendy whispered. ‘Maybe he’s lost like us.’

‘Yeah maybe. But then why doesn’t he just tell us who he is then?’

Wendy raised her eyebrows at Freya. ‘Would you? Honestly?’

After a moment of consideration Freya scowled and then turn back to face the young man, who had come even closer.

‘Stay. There. Can’t you hear?’ Freya said angrily.

‘I just want to see who I’m talking to a little better.’

‘Yeah,’ Freya said. ‘Likely story. More like you’re gonna put cuffs on us or knife us. Something like that catch your fancy?’

The young man laughed. ‘Why are you so aggressive? That’s not very attractive in a woman.’

Freya gritted her teeth and pushed the young man onto the ground. She knelt down quickly and bound his legs to the ground using the Emerald and the last of her strength.

‘I don’t give a damn what you find attractive in a woman.’

‘I didn’t...’ he began but then trailed off. Freya walked over to Wendy who was biting her lip.

‘Freya. I don’t think he’s all bad...I mean yes, what he said was tactless. But, well, you can sometimes be...a little.’ Wendy was cut off by a fiery look from Freya. ‘Yes? A little what? Hmm, speak up.’

Wendy decided to be brave. ‘A little aggressive...’

Freya laughed without humour. ‘I’m just protecting you. Protecting us.’

‘I know that Frey, and I do appreciate it. But we can’t afford to exclude the good guys as well.’

‘Who says he’s a good guy?’

‘I don’t know. But maybe he is...He deserves a chance I think.’

‘Fine.’

Freya turned back to the young man, bound to the ground with eight inch leg-cuffs made from solid rock.

‘Tell me your name and why you’re here and I’ll let you go. Deal?’

‘What is this? A job interview?’

Wendy laughed. Freya continued to look at him with displeasure.

‘Okay, okay. My name’s Robby. And, well, I’m here just like you two, I’m lost.’

‘See?’ Wendy said with a smile.

‘How did you come to be lost, Robby?’ Freya asked.

‘Well. I’m a journalist you see. And I was doing a big story on the cage fights. Do you know them?’