Chapter 16 - Refuge

A crack of lightning sounded in the distance and Wendy knew that it was time to leave. She was annoyed that she didn’t know the area, but Robbie did.

‘Robbie, how far exactly are we from your village?’

‘About two or three days hike, and that’s at a good, constant pace mind you.’

‘Damn,’ Wendy said. ‘I’m all out of ideas. Well other than staying here and knocking all three out with a stick.’ Freya raised an eyebrow at Wendy.

‘So I go to sleep for a couple of hours and you’re like a badass now?’

Wendy smiled at her. ‘More like a couple of days.’

‘I have an idea,’ Robbie said. ‘This guy I know lives down the stream a few miles.’

‘Does he?’ Wendy said. ‘Well why the frick didn’t you tell us about him before? Come on, help me prop Freya up and let’s get going?’

‘Okay,’ Robbie said, somewhat deflated. Robbie and Wendy each took a side of Freya and stood her upright. They supported her for a while, but then she pushed them gently away.

‘I can do this,’ she said.

‘Of course you can,’ Wendy smiled.

Another crack of lightning made Robbie jump and made them all realise the pressing nature of the situation.

‘This way,’ Robbie said, pointing towards the trees on the far side of the stream. Wendy followed behind with Freya who was keeping a decent pace but still a little wobbly.

‘I’m not going to fall,’ Freya said.

‘I know,’ Wendy replied.

‘Then stop looking at me so concerned kiddo.’

As soon as they entered the forest the temperature dropped several degrees and it got even darker as the tree canopy blotted out the light from the moon. They travelled all night through the forest, making sure to keep the stream close by. At first the strikes of lightning followed them, but after a while they died off.

When they came to the other side of the forest it was early morning. The sun had not yet risen.

‘It’s just down there,’ Robbie said, pointing at a little white cottage in the distance. There were no lights on inside.

‘Well,’ Wendy said, ‘shall we go say hello? I’m sure he will be glad to see you Robbie, no matter what the hour.’

‘Yeah,’ Robbie said, ‘about that. Me and him are not exactly what you would call, ah, friends.’

Wendy sighed. ‘What would you call it then?’

‘Ah, well, we’re not quite enemies, so that’s a good thing I guess. But, well, I may or may not have stolen a chicken from him the last time I saw him.’

Freya laughed and then so did Wendy.

‘Oh is that all? Surely he’ll get over that. Especially if you are in need like you are. Just give him a gold piece and he’ll be singing.’

‘Yeah,’ Robbie said. ‘About that. It may have been more like five chickens. And I may have ran away with his fiancée as well…’

‘Good lord,’ Freya said. ‘I told you he was bad news from the start.’

‘Well shit,’ Wendy sighed.

‘I’m sorry,’ Robbie said. ‘We were in love…and the chickens–’

‘They were to eat I suppose,’ Freya cut in.

‘Yes but–’

‘It doesn’t matter,’ Wendy said. ‘The fact is that we need his help. How many gold pieces do you have left?’