Prologue

Prologue

*~*~*~*

The jet was silent as Agent Maria Hill and Director Nick Fury flew away from New York City. Just hours ago the Avengers had returned Loki to Asgard in Thor's custody and them separated to go wherever they wished to go. Neither Fury nor Hill knew for sure where the 'heroes' were off to exactly, but they would easily be able to figure it out with one click into SHIELD's computer system. Right now though, the Avengers were the last of their worries. Their entire focus was on the woman that sat with them in the small jet.

She hadn't spoken a word to either of them since their flight began and they would be landing at their destination before long. Hill was at the controls, no one was to know of this mission of sorts so they hadn't brought along someone else to pilot for them.

Fury sat in his seat, just watching the woman as though she were an alien. This was saying something since he'd be working with Thor who was considered an alien of sorts since he wasn't of this world. His one good eye was trained on her face. Watching for any signs of her demeanor changing in a way that could be seen as threatening for him and Hill. The woman saw this though and had to bite down on her tongue to keep herself from doing something she knew she'd regret.

"I'm not going to shot you or anything." She snapped at him after a few more minutes under Fury's stare.

"I never said you were." Fury's tone was flat and uncaring, when that was the last thing he was.

"You're tense. You're hand is involuntarily itching towards your gun every minute or so, showing how uncomfortable you are being here. You think I'm going to try and pull something." She narrowed her eyes at him. She didn't like it when people mistook her as stupid and that's just what she felt Fury was doing. He was underestimating her and that was foolish of him to do.

"You can never be too careful Agent." His lips formed a small smirk as he caught the twitch of her hand at how he'd addressed her.

"We're here Sir." Hill informed the two as she started to land the jet on the empty basketball court below them. At her words the woman jumped to her feet immediately. She wasn't going to waste any time in getting away from Hill and Fury and they both knew it.

"Thank you bringing me here." She knew they'd rather her be back at the base with them, under their watchful eyes. It was their own decisions that had led Fury to no choice but to allow her to leave. He couldn't have the others knowing that he'd lied.

"It's not me that you should be thanking." He reminded her as the mouth of the jet opened.

She looked out and saw a handful of people standing at the edge of the court, well one of them was sitting since he was in a wheelchair. Never in her wildest dreams did she think she'd ever be here. A permanent home was never an option for her, not until that suited man had sat down at her table just under a week ago.

"We'll be in touch Agent." Fury promised her as she made her way out of the jet and into the late afternoon sun. At his words she turned and met his gaze with her own. Her's held a spark in it that made Fury move his hand towards his gun slightly. The simple move didn't go unnoticed by those on the court who were watching the exchange. One of the men, one that wore a pair of tinted shades, took a slight step forwards but stopped at the warning look from the man in the wheelchair. The woman just smirked at Fury's motion and gave a small chuckle, knowing that the man would always be like this with her. She continued her way off, but not without throwing one last sentence over her shoulder at him.

"I'm not your agent."