Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

*~*~*~*

It was only a matter of hours after my conversation with Natasha that I was creeping through SHIELD's headquarters with Steve, Hill, and Sam. We were trying to get to a control room before we went for the hellicarriers. We needed anyone that wasn't compromised by Hydra to know that Steve wasn't a bad guy, that he only wanted to help.

"Ready?" Hill looked at each of us as she pulled a small black box from her pocket. Steve nodded and she pressed a button.

"Ow!" We heard someone say from inside the control room while we stood on the other side of the door.

"Must be the dish." A man said.

"I'll check it out." Another guy said and we heard his footsteps approaching the door until it began to open. The man's eyes seemed to triple in size as Hill and Sam held up their guns, aiming them at the guy's head, while I held a ball of fire in my hands, ready to send it flying if need me.

"Excuse us." Steve was polite as he pushed past the guy and into the room. The man just held up his hands and let the rest of us in with Sam shutting the door behind us.

"I remember this being a lot more fun before." I commented, earning a snort of laughter from Sam while Steve and Hill only sent me sharp looks.

"Just be quiet." Hill told me as Steve pressed a button on the control panels and began speaking into a microphone.

"Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth." Steve spoke calmly, his voice firm and unwavering. "SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by Hydra. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are Hydra as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot the Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, Hydra will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam raised a brow at Steve.

"As touching as all of this is, we do have a deadline." I reminded all of them as I headed back towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Hill asked me. I could see her hand itch for her gun, this wasn't part of the plan and she didn't trust me. She never had.

"I have a friend who needs help." I gave them all a little wave before I turned on my heel and went running. Steve and Sam would be able to handle the hellicarriers without me, but there was something else that needed me.

My heels echoed through the halls as I ran, trying to find the room that I needed. I didn't bother to try the elevator and took the stairs, heading up to the top floor. Towards Pierce's office. When I reached it I found Pierce standing with a gun in hand, in front of all the council members and a few of his little lackeys. As soon as I walked in though all of their gazes turned to me, each one of them taking on a look of surprise.

"Weren't you ever told that it's rude to stare boys?" I tsked at all of them, fire catching in either of my hands. All of them just looked at me, unease lighting up in all of their eyes. All of the Hydra members pulled their guns, aiming them at me while the council members seemed confused. "Well isn't this interesting."