twelve

Final chapter. It's over. Sad, but I'm happy with how it ended. If you wanna hear more from Oliver and Emily, check out my story "THE CLUB" - they're in it!!!

twelve

Once upon a time, there was a boy named Oliver Dobson. He had dark curly hair and pale skin and to complete the facade of a total dork, he also had wide-brimmed glasses. A nerd, as some would call him. But despite his stereotyped exterior, he was neither ugly nor seemingly repulsive. In fact, Oliver Dobson was rather visually appealing—from a completely objective standpoint, of course. He was lanky but not too tall or too frail. He was also the type of person whose very presence was absolutely pretentious, yet at the same time, wholly not. When he walked into a room, eyes didn't need to turn for people to know that he was there. Because Oliver Dobson possessed a unique aura about him that informed others of his presence without visual proof of such. He was just that magical.

In addition to his mysticism, Oliver also happened be an avid reader. He had read books and books and books, and in his bedroom there was even an entire bookshelf that covered a wall, stuffed full of books. But because Oliver Dobson begged to be idiosyncratic in every way possible, he happened to only read books that came along with satiating endings. Before he read a book, he would check to make sure that he wouldn't be left up wondering at the stray hours of the night. He was a cheater, as some called it in the bibliophilic world. But despite this peculiarity, he still managed to read quite a bit.

And even with his love of books, Oliver somehow had friends, too. Close ones who valued his company and his intellect. They understood him, and he understood them. When Oliver was with his friends, he would laugh and laugh and laugh about the most random things in the world that would probably seem nerdy or weird to outsiders, but to he and his friends, there was nothing funnier. These types of friends were considered "real." Which a certain girl by the name of Emily Albert wouldn't know about, since she didn't possess "real" friends (save for one Thalia Thornton, her trusty roommate) during the entirety of her high school career.

Emily was a bit introverted and not as comfortable around people as Oliver. But of course, the only reason that Emily Albert is relevant is because she's the one narrating, and she happened to collide with Oliver Dobson one day amidst the shelves of unturned pages in a bookstore. The Bookstore, to be more precise. She was looking for books. He told her that the book in her hand was a bad one, and from there, it was really just another textbook romance.

By an almost chance, they met again at the bookstore. Then they went to a diner. Oliver sent Emily a book in the mail because he knew where she went to school, but he didn't have her number. But once he did have her number, he abused it to the max. Oliver couldn't stop texting Emily, and Emily couldn't stop responding to Oliver. They were like two poles of a magnet, needing to connect and almost impossible to take apart.

But of course, within this budding romanceship struggle arose. The conflict. Both Emily and Oliver read enough to know that every good story wasn't complete without some form of conflict that led to a climax of sorts, resulting in the falling action. In this story, Emily put up the front of claiming to hate boys, which kind of made it hard for Oliver to whip out any snazzy moves without being criticized to the extreme. But Oliver thought that the ability to change Emily's mind was within his limited scope of powers. So after getting close and proving himself as noble as any honorable knight who wasn't a fan of pillaging or rape, Oliver almost changed Emily's mind. How did he do that? Simple: he told her the truth about books and boys, an analogy that she understood, and after that, he asked her to be his girlfriend. Emily wasn't a fool, so she obviously accepted.

Being Oliver Dobson's girlfriend came with many perks, and Emily experienced all of them, including the constant "I miss you" texts and hand holding. Dating made sense for the two intellectuals because they clicked with each other and they got along and quite frankly, Emily had a bit of a crush on Oliver Dobson. But that was totally okay, because Oliver had a big crush on Emily Albert, too. Or so he claims. One can never be too sure with that boy. But anyway, they were dating and all was well.

And then one day when they were lying on the carpet in Oliver's room (with the door "open"), Emily turned to look at Oliver and said, "I love you," just out of the blue, because it was the truth, and this was the 21st century, so waiting for the guy to say it first was totally overrated.

Oliver then turned to Emily and said, "I love you, too." Her heart swelled with this weird gooey emotion that not a single book could accurately describe and for a split second she felt absolute harmony in the world. Nothing could go wrong, and she was in love. But then Oliver's mom called them down for dinner, so the special moment was broken, but not long forgotten. Because they were in love—as crazy as that seemed—and nothing else seemed to matter.

I can't say that they lived happily ever after, but after that moment, they were happy, waiting for their ever after. This is the story of how Emily Albert met Oliver Dobson in a bookstore...