The First 1500 Words

1. On your first line, or as near to it as possible, introduce the hero and swat at him with a fistful of trouble. Hint at a mystery, a menace or a problem to be solved - something the hero has to cope with.

2. The hero then pitches in to cope with his fistful of trouble. He tries to fathom the mystery, defeat the menace, or solve the problem but doesn't get far.

3. Introduce all the other characters as soon as possible. Bring them into ACTION!

4. The hero's endeavors should land him in an actual physical conflict near the end of the first 1500 words.

5. Near the end of the first 1500 words, there is a complete surprise twist in the plot development.

SO FAR: Does it have SUSPENSE?

Is there a MENACE to the hero?

Does everything happen logically?

At this point, it might help to recall that action should do something besides advance the hero over the scenery. Suppose the hero has learned the dastards of villains have seized somebody named Eloise, who can explain the secret of what is behind all these sinister events. The hero corners villains, they fight, and villains get away. Not so hot.

The hero should accomplish something with his tearing around if only to rescue Eloise and surprise! Eloise is a ring-tailed monkey. The hero counts the rings on Eloise's tail if nothing better comes to mind. They're not real. The rings are painted there. Why?