Chapter 3

Thank you all for your support. It means so much to me. I hope you enjoy the chapter. I should have another one up soon. :)

(Madison)

I stood at the window and gazed out at the backyard and the rose garden. Usually roses brought a smile to my lips, but not this morning. Nothing could make me smile when I felt like my heart had been ripped from my chest.

Letting the curtains drop back into place, I turned away from the window. At that moment, someone knocked on the door. The door opened and Audrey stepped into the bedroom.

"Breakfast is ready, dear," she announced.

I wasn't the least bit hungry, but I had a feeling David wouldn't allow me to skip breakfast. Reluctantly, I followed her through the house to the kitchen. Entering the kitchen, I discovered a German Shepherd noisily eating. Food littered the floor around his bowl.

"That's Galahad," Audrey said. "You'll have to forgive him. He has no manners."

"Is he your dog?" I asked.

"No," she said. "He belongs to David."

"Does he live in the house?" I said.

"He does," Audrey said, "but don't worry though. He's been housebroken. Sit down, dear, and I will fix you a plate."

"I'm not hungry," I admitted to her.

"I figured as much, but do you think you could manage to eat a little?" she asked, eyeing me with concern.

"If I say no then-"

"If you say no about what?" David wanted to know, coming into the kitchen.

I watched the dog eat and left it to Audrey to explain to David what we were talking about. I didn't have the energy to tell him myself. Truth was, I didn't have the energy to do much of anything.

"You need to eat, Madison," David told me. "If you don't, you will grow weak. Now sit down and let Audrey fix you a plate."

Giving in to his demand, I pulled out a chair and sank down onto it. Audrey fixed a plate for me and set it in front of me. Aware of them watching my every move, I picked up a fork and cut into the ham and cheese frittata.

"A friend of mine is going to be dropping by to meet you," David said, taking a seat across from me. "He's a psychologist. His name is Jay Albany."