Chapter 2

I wasn't planning on updating until Tuesday, but I found time to write and was able to finish the chapter early. Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it. I hope you enjoy the chapter and I should have another one up by next weekend. :)

(David)

"I'm going to let you go," I said quietly in her ear. "Cooperate with me and everything will be fine. Don't cooperate with me and I will restrain you. Do you understand me?"

"Yes," she croaked.

I let her go slowly and she turned to face me. "I know we need to talk, but not here and not now. I want you to pack a few bags." I removed the ski mask and ran a hand through my hair. "You're coming with me."

"I don't even know your name and you expect me to just go with you quietly," she said, her pretty green eyes scanning my face.

"It's David," I told her. "Now you know. Go and pack your bags."

"I'm not - I don't-" She sighed, her shoulders slumping. "Please, go away and leave me to my pills."

I gazed into her pain filled eyes, as I took a step closer to her. "I will make a deal with you. Give me one month to try and change your mind about dying. One month in which you must do as I say, within reason. If at the end of the month you still want to die, I will see to you personally." I held out my hand. "Do we have a deal?"

After a minute of hesitation, she placed a trembling hand in my gloved one. "We have a deal," she muttered.

I squeezed her hand gently before releasing it. Urging her to go and pack, I followed her to the bedroom and paused in the doorway. Even though we had a deal, I didn't trust her to be alone. Hopefully trust would come later.

While she packed I sent a text message to my housekeeper and cook, Audrey. I need you to get the guest room ready. Remove anything that could be used to harm yourself.

May I ask why you want me to do this? she said.

I will explain everything later.

When will you be home?

I glanced at my watch and then replied, Around midnight.

Be careful.

I promised her I would and returned my phone to my pocket.

"May I ask you a question?" Madison said, breaking the silence in the car.

"Of course," I responded, my gaze fixed firmly ahead.

"Why did you break into my house to kill me?" she wanted to know. "I haven't done anything that would warrant you taking my life."

I shifted slightly, checking the rear view mirror. "I was hired by a man that claimed you hit his child with your car and then left her to die. There was camera footage showing your car hitting a child and then driving off."

"It wasn't me," Madison stated. "I would never hit a child and leave them to die."

"I figured that out when I walked into the kitchen and discovered you sobbing your heart out," I said. "Someone that would hit a child with their car and then leave them for dead has no conscience and wouldn't have the capacity for the depth of emotions you showed me tonight."

"What makes you sure it was my car you saw on the footage?" she inquired.

"The license plate was visible," I answered. "I ran a check on it and it came back that the car was registered in your name."

"Someone must have messed with the camera footage to make it look as though I hit that child," she said.

"My thoughts exactly," I said.

"You didn't follow through on killing me," she said. "What are you going to tell the man that hired you?"

"I don't want you to concern yourself with that," I replied.

"Are you going to kill him?"

I had every intention of doing just that, but she didn't need to know about it. No one lied to me - no one tried to make me look like a fool and got away with it. "Again, Madison, I don't want you to concern yourself with that."

She let out a weary sigh and turned her attention to the passing scenery. We didn't speak for the remainder of the drive.

After I introduced Madison to Audrey, I showed her to her room. It was across the hall from Audrey's room and had a view of the backyard and rose garden. I placed the suitcases on the dresser and then looked at her. She was standing by the bed, her eyes sweeping over the room.

"You have your own bathroom," I said. "The linen closet is at the end of the hall if you need any extra towels. Can I get you anything?"

Madison shook her head.

"Try and get some sleep," I said softly. "I know it won't be easy, but you need your rest. Audrey is across the hall should you need anything in the night."

"I'll keep that in mind," she said.

I wished her a good night, even though I knew it wouldn't be for her, and left the room. Audrey was waiting in the hallway for me. I took her by the arm and led her into her bedroom, leaving the door ajar.

"That poor woman has had her heart broken," she said. "I can see it written all over her face. What happened to her?"

"I don't know, Audie," I muttered, "but she needs our help."

"You had me remove everything that could be used to harm a person from her room." Audrey cleared her throat. "Is she suicidal?"

"I'm afraid so," I said.

An expression of sadness crossed her face.

"She agreed to a month." I passed a hand across my face, feeling exhaustion kicking in. "I have a month to try and change her mind about dying. At the end of that month, if she still wants to die I gave her my word that I would take care of her."

"Oh, David," she sighed heavily.

I gave her arm a tender squeeze. "I'm going to do everything in my power to change her mind, Audie."

Audrey's eyes took on a determined glint. "You mean we will do everything in our power to change her mind."

I grinned. "Please, forgive me. I meant to say we."

She placed her hands on her hips and said firmly, "You're darn right you did."

I felt a rush of affection for this woman standing in front of me. She was feisty, loyal, and a gentle soul. I moved in close and kissed her on the forehead. "You need your sleep. Why don't you turn in?"

"I want to check on Madison first," she said.

I nodded, wished her a good night, and headed to my bedroom. Once inside, I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. I knew I had my work cut out for me where Madison was concerned and failure wasn't an option.