Chapter 1

Thank you all for your patience while I wrote this chapter. Also thank you all for your support. It means so much to me. I hope you like the chapter. I should have another one up next week. :)

(Madison)

"I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to let you go."

Stunned, I gaped at the man I had called my employer for the better part of five years. "I-I don't understand," I managed to get past the lump in my throat. "I'm always on time. I get along with my co-workers. I do my job."

"I know." A look of pity on his face, Mr. Smith folded his hands on the desk. "I don't want to fire you, Madison, but I don't have a choice. The company is struggling financially. You will be the first in a long line of layoffs."

"I see," I murmured.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I didn't want to do this to you. I know you've been having a difficult time with the recent death of your grandfather."

The mention of Granddad had my heart squeezing painfully in chest. I took a deep breath, willing myself to stay calm. The last thing I wanted to do was break down and cry. I got to my feet, letting him know I would clean out my desk.

Mr. Smith rose from his desk and offered me his hand. "It was a pleasure, Madison. Please, feel free to use me as a reference when you apply for another job."

"Yes, sir," I muttered, shaking his hand.

"Your paycheck will be deposited into your bank account by the end of the week."

Nodding, I thanked him and then left the office for the last time. In a daze, I made my way back to the desk I had been chained to for so long. Aware of everyone's eyes on me, I gathered my things.

"Madison, what's going on?"

I turned to find one of my co-workers, well, now former co-worker standing beside the desk. "Mr. Smith fired me," I said quietly.

She frowned at me. "Why?"

I didn't answer her. I didn't want it to get around that everyone's job was in jeopardy. It was better that they carried on thinking everything was fine. They would learn soon enough that it wasn't.

I pulled up in front of Cameron's house, put the car in park, and shut off the ignition. Getting out of the car, I hurried up the driveway to the porch. I needed the comfort that only my fiance could give. I climbed the steps and let myself into the house.

The sound of female laughter greeted me, and I wondered if his sister was visiting. I followed the sound and what I discovered when walking into the living room had my heart shattering into a million little pieces.

Cameron was kissing the neck of my friend, Amanda. She had her arms wrapped around him, her head thrown back. A whimper of pain escaped me, capturing their attention. Amanda's eyes growing wide, she quickly moved away from Cameron.

Grimacing, Cameron stood. "Madi, I don't know-"

"How long?" I demanded to know, tears filling my eyes. "How long have you two been screwing around behind my back?" They didn't say anything. "Answer me. How long?"