Chapter Seventeen. Serena

Chapter Seventeen

Serena

The rumours were true. The government claimed they had no alternative but to use Darsian women as egg donors. Conventional Myrian births were so rare. Marilena, as a member of the MRP elite, received preferential treatment. Three times the surgeons implanted a developing embryo in her uterus. Each time she miscarried. She demanded one more chance.  

"But, Madame, we have so few eggs. We are having so much trouble with these Darsian women. Despite giving them a life of luxury they are proving remarkably recalcitrant. Very few willingly cooperate and many have committed suicide."  

"Doctor Joyal, you do know that in my position as director general of the Research Institute I have some say in the financing of this hospital..."  

Marilena was fifty-one when she successfully carried a baby to term. She gave birth to a baby girl, Serena, who weighed in at a hefty nine pounds, far larger than normal for a Myrian child. As in so many similar cases, the delivery required surgical assistance. The baby's skin was fair, the few strands of hair blonde, and the eyes a startling Darsian blue. Right then, Marilena knew that her daughter would never be accepted as a true Myrian. 

Serena was only five when the government repealed Bill 101. Forty-nine years had passed since its introduction and only one hundred and twenty four years since the birth of the Republic. Already, the much-vaunted Myrian life style seemed doomed. The almost non-existent birth rate wasn't the only problem. Darsian air pollution was lowering the photo-efficiency of the solar collectors. Bands of Darsian guerrillas were proving to be increasingly effective in cutting off the myrite supplies so essential for alphega cultivation and the solar energy program. The MRP called for drastic action. 

Serge returned to his unit. This time there was no ambiguity about his orders.  

"Seek out and destroy any remaining Darsian industry, eliminate the rebel army, and capture as many Darsian women of child bearing age as possible."  

The success of the campaign was soon obvious. Alphega once again became plentiful, photo efficiency rose to previous levels, and the waiting time at the birthing centre decreased. However the Darsians, though few in number, were inflicting heavy casualties in their battle for survival.  

Almost daily, Marilena, as a member of the MRP hierarchy, attended funeral services for the fallen on the National Field of Honour. She always had a deep sense of foreboding at these events, just knowing that one day she would be mourning Serge. 

In the spring just after Serena's seventeenth birthday, Serge, now a battalion leader, took part in a major offensive against a Darsian stronghold located in the mountains to the west of Engelsbay. There had been heavy snows the preceding winter. The Darsians used this to their advantage, detonating an explosive device just as the battalion moved single file through a narrow pass. The explosion dislodged a huge overhanging wall of snow. The Myr scattered in front of the onrushing avalanche. Some escaped, but the snow swept the majority away, their bodies lost forever. Serge was amongst the missing, presumed dead. 

After the memorial service, Marilena met with her parents, who convinced her to return with them to Drylan. It wasn't a hard decision. There was nothing keeping her in Myranda. She hadn't made any true friends, her life having revolved around Serena, Serge, and work. Her work as director of MRI (the Myrian Research Institute) had long since started to pall, and she had few qualms about resigning, despite the loss of benefits. Serena asked to stay expressing a wish to continue her training in the Alphega research labs. Marilena agreed on condition she helped with the move to Drylan.

Gina was at her usual spot by the sensitizing pool. She had put on quite a bit of weight but like everyone else had retained her youthful looks. As Marilena and her daughter approached, she jumped up from her recliner, and rushed to meet them. She was as talkative as ever. 

"Hi! I heard you were back. It's so nice to see you again. Are you staying long?" 

"Hold on there, Gina." 

"Sorry. I'm just so excited to see you." 

"Gina, I'd like you to meet my daughter, Serena. Serena, this is Gina, an old friend of mine." 

"Less of the 'old' there, Marilena," said Gina, as she gave the young girl the Myrian two-cheeked kiss of greeting. "So you eventually managed to go and get yourself pregnant. By the looks of your daughter he must have been one hunk of a fellow." 

Marilena had vowed never to divulge the nature of Serena's conception so offered no direct response.  

"How about you Gina?" 

"No such luck, but I gave it a good try. My window of opportunity was so short." 

"Any husband?" 

"What's the point? And you?" 

"Not now." 

"Divorce?" 

"No, Serge was..." 

"You mean that Serge. The one you had the hots for." 

"Mom, I don't think I want to hear this. If you'll excuse me I'll go and get exposed while you two natter on." 

Gina watched with interest as Serena disrobed and slid into the sensitizing pool. "How old is she Marilena?" 

"Almost eighteen." 

"But she looks so..." 

"I know." 

"And she's so tall, and those deep blue eyes. Her father was no Myrian was he?"  

Marilena shrugged.  

"Does she know?" 

"Of course she knows." 

"It might be a problem for her. You know how xenophobic the folks around here can be." 

"Wow, that's a big word for you Gina." 

"I'm not just a body dauber you know. I have taken to spending time in the library at the old Cabot College. They've converted the whole campus in to a recreation centre. There's a swimming pool, sports arenas, art galleries, a theatre. You name it; it's there. Maybe we could go and have a look at it later."

Marilena enjoyed the tour of the old Darsian school. Builders had modified the huge library for the use of HEDs, blackened the windows, but otherwise had kept the original furnishings intact. They had converted the second storey into a museum, presumably to show the backward nature of the Darsian education system. One room, a former teacher's office, remained untouched. Curious, Marilena opened one of the texts that burdened the shelves. Inside the front cover, she saw the signature of a G.Hertz. The name seemed familiar. 

That evening, as the family sat around the kitchen table enjoying one of their nightly board games, Marilena mentioned the name. 

"Oh, that's Gerry," said her father. "He was an old buddy of your grandfathers. They used to be thick as thieves. He died soon after the college closed down. I think Gramps acted as his executor." 

"But why does his name ring a bell?" 

"Maybe your grandfather mentioned him when he was regaling you with his tales of the old times." 

"That's it."  

Marilena jumped to her feet and pounded  down the stairs to the basement where the cedar chest was stored. It was still there. At the bottom of the chest lay the leather brief case with the attached name tag, Dr.G.Hertz. Maybe it was time to look at the contents.