Chapter Thirteen. The Veteran Brigade.

Chapter Thirteen

The Veteran Brigade 

Dancing had always been a major part of Myrian social life. Large open-air events, attended exclusively by the young and unattached took place almost every night. Marilena was in the habit of attending once a week even though she was far too young to concern herself with finding a mate. This was an unexpected consequence of the alphega diet. The slowing of the aging process delayed the onset of puberty. In Gramp's day, females reached puberty at the age of about twelve and the males around fifteen. Now the ages were nineteen and twenty-two respectively. The age seemed to be increasing with each succeeding generation. 

Traditional Myrian dances were performed at high tempo. In former days, dancers had worn colourful costumes but alphega, vigorous exercise, and clothing were incompatible. Over the years, it had become customary for participants in the dance to paint their bodies with colourful extracts from various plants and berries. Initially the patterns bore some resemblance to the clothing worn in the old days but with the passage of time, originality took precedence. Organizers gave prizes for the best body art, and typically, contestants would spend hours preparing an eye-catching display. An unexpected benefit of this practice was the discovery that many of the dyes were insect repellents, allowing dances to be held in the open, even though the night air was awash with blood sucking pests. 

Gina, Marilena's closest friend, was a member of the same solarium, and for many years, they had sensitized together. Initially they had much in common, both being involved in social studies and members of the same croco team. Unfortunately, Gina had failed the social studies exam and could not access the student network. Despite this setback, she had not succumbed to sloth. She was a gifted body dauber and in great demand. 

Money played only a small role in the Myrian economy. Barter was the norm, and the highest currency anything that would relieve the monotony of the alphega diet. In return for her services, customers usually offered Gina dietary supplements, some of which were probably illegal. She daubed Marilena in exchange for gossip. 

Today, Marilena was in no mood for trivialities. Gramps was still on her mind as she disrobed for the daubing. 

"Gina, what do you think of Bill101?" 

"I'm completely in favour of it. It takes away all the uncertainty and it helps you organize all your affairs before you know..." 

"Can't you even say it?" 

"Termination! There, I said it. I think one hundred years is enough for anyone." 

"That's easy to say when you're only seventeen. I bet you'd think differently if you were over a hundred and nearing your birthday." 

"Why are you so agitated about this?" 

"It's Gramps. He has just received his termination notice from the OTF." 

"I'm so sorry, I didn't realize." Gina stopped mixing her paints for a moment and adopted a more sympathetic attitude. "I know how much he means to you, but that's the way it is. Apparently it's a wonderful way to go." 

"How can anyone possibly know?" 

"Enough of this. Lay down on the massage table. On your stomach please." 

Marilena obliged, realizing that Gina had nothing more to say on the subject.  

"So which group will be playing tonight?" Asked Gina, as she applied a streak of woadberry to the small of Marilena's back. 

"The Carrieres." 

"Who plays the lead fiddle for them?" 

"Simon Simard".