Chapter 23

The rest of the weekend went by without much going on. Annabeth and Percy told everyone at camp about the pregnancy, and most were excited for the two. Nico even shadow traveled Hazel over so she could see them for a couple of hours. But the whole thing was too happy for him to spend in it for long.

One book seemed promising on the search for the monster, but half of the page was ripped out and missing. It was an old book, one of the oldest, so it wasn't too odd. But something in him had given up on coincidences long ago.

It was between classes one day when Ron and Harry rushed up to him, out of breath and panting.

"Hermione had this." Harry stuffed a piece of paper in his hand, a paper that looked too much like what that book had looked like. "It's a basilisk. The monster, it's a basilisk. It's been using the pipes."

Nico read over the paper quickly, thankful the English now came easy thanks to Hecate. Of the many fearsome beasts and monsters that roam our land, there is none more curious or more deadly than the Basilisk, known also as the King of Serpents. This snake, which may reach gigantic size and live many hundreds of years, is born from a chicken's egg, hatched beneath a toad. Its methods of killing are most wondrous, for aside from its deadly and venomous fangs, the Basilisk has a murderous stare, and all who are fixed with the beam of its eye shall suffer instant death. Spiders flee before the Basilisk, for it is their mortal enemy, and the Basilisk flees only from the crowing of the rooster, which is fatal to it.

"A basilisk..." Nico whispered. "My sword should work."

"Let's go to the staff room," Harry said, "McGonagall will be there in ten minutes. It's nearly break."

Nico didn't see how they would need a teacher's help but went with them, having promised himself he wouldn't let Harry face danger alone. Not again. And if Harry was set on warning the teachers, Nico would join him.

They got to the staff room to find it empty, no teacher in sight. As they waited for the bell, they soon realized that it would never ring.

"All students to return to their House dormitories at once. All teachers return to the staff room. Immediately, please."

"That's McGonagall," Nico moved a hand to his wand. "Damn, I should have gotten my sword. Both of you, stay close to me. That means another attack."

Nico pulled them into the shadows, hiding them as the teachers started to file into the room. Most looked more frantic than usual. Nico was too worried about Harry and Ron staying silent to focus enough to feel everyone's life source.

"It has happened," McGonagall told the other teachers. "A student has been taken by the monster. Right into the Chamber itself."

"How can you be sure?" Snape asked.

"The Heir of Slytherin," Professor McGonagall answered, "left another message. Right underneath the first one. 'Her skeleton will lie in the Chamber forever.' "

"Who is it?" Madam Hooch asked. "Which student?"

"Ginny Weasley,"

Nico felt his grip tighten on his brother, who sunk to the floor beside him. Murderous rage spread through Nico for the first time since his encounter with Bryce Lawrence.

"We shall have to send all the students home tomorrow," McGonagall continued. "This is the end of Hogwarts. Dumbledore always said..."

Lockheart stepped into the room, then, seeming unaware of what was happening. "So sorry - dozed off - what have I missed?"

"Just the man," Snape said. "The very man. A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Taken into the Chamber of Secrets itself. Your moment has come at last."