Chapter 9

As soon as morning hit, Nico was shepherded into Dumbledore's office to be questioned on where he was the night before. Not in bed, not in the halls, not in the Great Hall, not with the other students. Filtch stared at him the whole time as if he knew the darkness Nico had done back in the demigod world.

"I would share that answer with you if we were alone, Professor." Nico finally spoke, having been eyeing Filtch with a sense of hatred. "I think that after you hear it, you would think it was best that only you know."

"Very well." Dumbledore got Filtch out of the room and put a silencing charm on the door. After he sat down, he gave Nico a knowing smile. "What is your alibi, young demigod?"

Nico's eyes widened. "You know? Why didn't you tell me First Year? I came to you for help and-"

"Hecate forbad me," Dumbledore explained. "It was up to you to find out. She insisted it be that way."

Nico sat back with folded arms and a low sigh. "So you know of the gods."

Dumbledore nodded. "Do they have to do with where you were Halloween night?"

"Eh, kind of." Nico scratched the back of his head. "There are young kids at camp. One's even six. So I gave them a good Halloween and spent the night kind of and then went to the Underworld and then came here. Dominic told me what had happened when I was gone. Apparently, people are blaming me...I guess that means Filtch, too."

"I'm sure you've learned not to listen to others, son of Hades." Dumbledore leaned forward with his hands folded. "Now, onto other matters."

"There are other matters?" Nico was suddenly paying more attention. "What are they? What else is wrong?"

"As you are aware, Voldemort is rising again." Dumbledore started. "He has two main targets. One is-"

"Harry," Nico cut in. "We all know that."

Dumbledore nodded. "And the second is you. He knows you're here and he knows who you are."

"Damn it..."

"I need you to look out for Harry this year," Dumbledore ordered. "More than you did last year."

Nico winced at the memory of his failure. He had let Harry fight that basilisk alone. "I'll keep him safe. I swear to the gods."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nico spent his time glued to Harry and the Gryffindors much to the curiosity of others. He went to his own classes, sure, but made sure to check up on Harry between them. He had made a promise to the gods. He couldn't fail it this time.

"I need to protect him," Nico told Ron when he was questioned. "You know that. And the Chamber being opened..."

Wednesday hit. Nico followed Harry to the library, frowning when Justin Finch-Fletchley basically ran from them after one glance. Harry and Nico always sticking together definitely got the attention of those who blamed them.

"Ignore it." Nico dragged Harry into the library. "He doesn't know any better."

They met up with Ron in the back of the library though Nico could tell what had happened bothered Harry. He wasn't used to being feared, though Nico was.

"I don't believe it, I'm still eight inches short." Ron let his homework go. "And Hermione's done four feet seven inches and her writing's tiny."

"Where is she?" Harry sat by Ron and got his own homework out. Nico stood by them but didn't sit, leaning against the wall.

"Somewhere over there," said Ron, pointing along the shelves. "Looking for another book. I think she's trying to read the whole library before Christmas."

Harry told Ron what had happened with Justin, causing Nico to sigh in frustration. "You shouldn't care, Harry."

"Nico's right," Ron agreed. "Dunno why you care. I thought he was a bit of an idiot. All that junk about Lockhart being so great -"

"All the copies of Hogwarts, A History have been taken out." Hermione emerged from a line of bookshelves and sat at their table. "And there's a two-week waiting list. I wish I hadn't left my copy at home, but I couldn't fit it in my trunk with all the Lockhart books."

"Why do you want it?" Harry asked.

"The same reason everyone else wants it," Hermione replied. "To read up on the legend of the Chamber of Secrets."

"And you all still don't know what it is." Nico sighed. "Can't you get somewhat of an idea? It's something to do with Hogwarts that is obviously dangerous to Muggleborns-"

"Hermione, let me read your composition." Ron cut him off without a thought.

"No, I won't." Hermione insisted. "You've had ten days to finish it -"

"I only need another two inches, come on -"

The bell cut Ron off. He left with Hermione, leaving Nico to walk with Harry. "Just don't underestimate it, Harry." He tried to warn him. "Even if we don't know exactly what it is yet."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nico was talking to Myrtle later that day when the Golden Trio barged in. All four wizards stared at each other in awkward silence before Nico stood up with a clear of his throat. "Well, I'll just be going."

"Oh, Nico, hold on." Hermione went to Myrtle. "We wanted to ask you if you've seen anything funny lately. Because a cat was attacked right outside your front door on Halloween."

"Did you see anyone near here that night?" Harry asked.

"I wasn't paying attention," said Myrtle dramatically. "Peeves upset me so much I came in here and tried to kill myself. Then, of course, I remembered that I'm - that I'm -"

"Already dead," Ron finished.

Nico elbowed him hard as Myrtle disappeared. "She knows, Ronald."

Hermione shrugged at Ron and Harry's confusion and disbelief. "Honestly, that was almost cheerful for Myrtle...Come on, let's go."

"What were you three even doing?" Nico asked as he followed them out.

Before any of them could answer, Percy Weasley's voice shouted from nearby. "Ron! Nico! That's a girls' bathroom! What were you —?"

"Just having a look around," Ron shrugged. "Clues, you know —"

"Get away from there." Percy started to shepherd them along. "Don't you care what this looks like? Coming back here while everyone's at dinner —"

"Why shouldn't we be here?" Ron asked. "Listen, we never laid a finger on that cat! Nico wasn't even with us! You can't blame all of us at once, can you?"

"That's what I told Ginny," Percy agreed. "but she still seems to think you're going to be expelled, I've never seen her so upset, crying her eyes out, you might think of her, all the first years are thoroughly overexcited by this business —"

"You don't care about Ginny," Ron retorted. Nico kept quiet but gave Harry a look at the familiar arguing. "You're just worried I'm going to mess up your chances of being Head Boy —"

"Five points from Gryffindor!" Percy cut in. "And I hope it teaches you a lesson! No more detective work, or I'll write to Mum! You too, Nico!"

And then he was gone. Before he could say another word or have to explain why he was talking to Myrtle, Nico went off to his own dormitory. The Golden Trio didn't need to know his thoughts. They didn't need to know how Myrtle died.

But Nico had figured it out.