chapter twenty-five

"I think I know what Raelyn was talking about in the video, but you're not going to like it."

My interest piqued, I wait for Bowie to elaborate. He, of course, falls silent. He looks straight ahead at the blank television screen. I place my hand on his shoulder, but he recoils from my touch, brushing me away like a moody teenager.

"Hey, can you please talk to me?" I implore him.

"I... I'm sorry. I've just never actually told anyone this before," he confesses.

"I'm your big sister," I say, scooting closer to him. "You can tell me anything. You know that."

The forlorn look on his face rips my heart right in half. "If only it were that simple," he whispers.

Before I can say another word, my cell phone rings. I dig the device out of my purse and roll my eyes when I see Benson's name on the screen.

"I'm so sorry, Bowie. I should probably take this," I inform him. "I'll be right back, okay? I won't be gone for more than five minutes."

He nods his head and waves me off. I exit my apartment and make my way outside. I'm about to return Benson's call when I see a shiny Mercedes Benz parked in front of my building.

"No, he did not," I mutter under my breath.

Benson gets out of the car and immediately lifts his hands. "Don't be mad," he says. "I know I'm the last person you want to see right now, but—"

"Alyx is asleep," I interrupt. "Besides, she doesn't want to see you right now, either."

He shakes his head. "I'm not here for Alyx. I came to apologize to my baby sister."

Surprised, I cross my arms over my chest and ask, "Are you for real?"

"Yes," he replies. "I was completely out of line earlier." He leans against his luxury car and exhales. "With you, with mom, especially with Alyx.... God, I feel so terrible. I'm really sorry, Gem. I hope you can forgive me."

"You're family, Benson. Of course I forgive you." I walk toward him and rest my head against his shoulder. "I don't think I'm the one you need to apologize to, though."

"Alyx won't talk to me, and I don't want to upset her more than I already have."

"If you come by tomorrow, she might be okay. What did Mom say to us when we were kids? 'Nothing heals like a good night's sleep'?"

"She wasn't wrong." I hear the smile in Benson's voice. "Our mom's a smart lady."

"That she is," I agree.

"Do you think Alyx will ever trust me again?" he inquires, his voice soft and laced with gloominess. "I hate myself for hurting her. I love her so much. I love our baby so much. I don't want to lose either of them, you know?"

"Alyx will get past this," I assure him. "You just need to give her time. As for the baby...." I pause, contemplating my next words carefully. "I know you're already enamored with this child, Benson, and that's wonderful. It truly is. Just remember that she's the one who has to house it in her body for nine months. She's the one who has to give up coffee and wine and anything else that might harm the fetus. I know it's your baby, but this is her life. If she can't go through with the pregnancy, you have to respect that."

"I get that pregnancy is hard," he responds. "I'm not disputing that. I know she'll have to make sacrifices, but I'll be there every step of the way. It's not like she'll be doing it alone."

"I know that, but—"

"Marco bailed on Raelyn when she was pregnant, and she still went through with it. I don't know why Alyx is making such a big deal out of this."

I let out a prolonged sigh and say, "Alyx isn't Raelyn. No one else on this planet is like Raelyn. Besides, I found out recently that Marco isn't even Evangeline's father, so we don't know what happened there. We probably never will."

Benson's dark eyes widen. "That doesn't make sense. Marco was Rae's boyfriend."

"He claims they never had sex."

"He's lying."

"We have no way to prove that."

"Get a DNA test."

I shake my head. "Is that even worth it at this point? Vange is almost seven. Even if Marco is her dad, he's already missed out on half her childhood."

"Mom and Dad can't foster Evangeline forever. Eventually, someone's gonna want to adopt her," Benson says matter-of-factly.

"Well, Rae wanted that person to be me," I remind him.

"Yeah, but you're not going to," he tosses back.

I shoot him a pointed look. "What do you mean by that?"

"It will either be Mom and Dad, Evangeline's long lost father, or Crazy Carla," he states. "You're a career woman, Gem. You don't know anything about kids."

His words feel like a slap to the face. I pull away from him, eager to go back inside and resume my conversation with the brother who didn't just insult me.

"Whatever you say, mister soon-to-be dad," I rebut.

"Gah, I'm sorry," he relents. "That came out wrong."

"I'm not like you. I'm not perfect," I go on, my heart heavy with rage. "I don't make six figures a year. I'm not effortlessly good at everything I do. Hell, you were right—I don't know much about kids!"

"Gemma—"

"But regardless of all that, there's one thing I'm certain of, and it's the fact that I do know Evangeline." My heart is racing, my hands shaking. I wrap my arms around myself and add, "How much do you know about Raelyn's daughter, huh? Who is she to you?"

I don't give Benson the opportunity to say anything else. I turn around and race back inside, back to my apartment. I open the door, a string of apologies on the tip of my tongue.

Except I am all alone.

"Bowie?" I call out.

He doesn't answer. My little brother is gone.