chapter 3

--
This chapter is serious, and graphic. Short, but worth the read. I'm very sorry for the super late update :(
--

Max's P.O.V

  I closed the door and went around to meet Dylan, smiling brightly. On the inside, I was nervous.

  He returned with a small smile as we walked to my porch, "okay... my foster family is super super.. like, cheerful, so, um, well, I, just.. be prepared for hugs instead of a handshake, is all," I stuttered, chewing on the inside of my lip.

  I swung the front door open and took my shoes off before stepping in, and I noticed Dylan did the same after me, but I could easily see the awkwardness, he hadn't ever had to do that one before.

  I had heard my foster dad in the kitchen, so I decided to go in there before anything else. I introduced them and of course, my foster dad gave Dylan a hug and they talked about guns while I left the room to put his and my bag away.

  I'm more of a girl, I don't prefer the whole guns thing or fighting. More like, tree climbing and hair-cutting.

  I ran down the stairs and came back in the kitchen, seeing the two still chatting, "hey Jeffery, is it okay if I skip my medication for the hyper stuff this weekend since it's the weekend and I have company?" I asked and instantly took it back, feeling my shoulders tense up and I squeezed my hands slowly, "I actually, I shouldn't ask such a pointless question, I apologise, I'm very sorry, it won't happen again," I said and turned to walk away as he grabbed my arm, making me tense so much more,

  "Max, look at me," he said in a different tone of voice.

  "Yes sir," I responded quickly and turned to face him.

  "Don't be afraid to ask me a question. This home is different, you can skip your medication on the weekends, it's only required on school days, okay? But don't forget to give yourself your shot, and don't forget to take your sleeping meds about a half hour before you think you'll be going to sleep regaurdless of the time. Those two things, you can't miss, alright? But don't be afraid to ask. I love when you have questions for me," he said and released my arm with a smile.

  "Yes sir, I'm sorry..." I said, looking highly embarressed because Dylan was right there.

  Jefferey looked at Dylan and Dylan smiled as if nothing had happened, "I'm going to go wash up, is that okay, Jefferey?" I asked.

  "Yeah! Yeah, Katie should be starting dinner soon anyways, if you want to help you mine as well wash up now!" He said and smiled.

  I nodded my head, "thank you, Dylan, you can talk with Jefferey or go up to my bedroom if you'd like and I'll be finished in a moment," I said before turning and practically running up the stairs. That was embarrassing.

**********************

Dylan's P.O.V.

  I nodded to Max and kept talking with his dad. I thought the conversation would continue on his guns but as Max closed the bathroom door and the shower started, Jefferey started a new conversation.

  "I do apologise for that by the way. For kind of treating him like a kid, it might seem weird. he's been through a lot in his life throughout his childhood, and being in a home like ours is a lot different than his old one. and does he sit by you at lunch or anything by chance?" I nodded, "can you please. Please, make sure he gives himself his shot before he eats. He has diabetes, and if he doesn't take the shot, it can be fatel. He has to take a few medications, please make sure when he starts to get tired tonight, you push for him to take his medication to sleep? If he doesn't take it, he'll have nightmares and he'll talk in his sleep and stuff. Its just helpful for him, if I don't remind him he'll forget so I figure why not have you remind him?" He said and I nodded.

  Wow, I wonder what he's gone through now that the guy brings it up, "is there something specific that causes the nightmares? My aunt is a therapist. it's possible I could help some. I have at least thirty books about it at home," I said, sitting back in my chair.

  "Uh... well. I don't want to give every detail about Max away.. It isn't my place. The only reason I know, is because we had to discuss it a few days ago when he got here and woke up, sweating and crying and couldn't catch his breathe for the life of him. when Max feels he can trust you, I know he'll tell ya. You seem like a good kid. I don't want any bullshit starting over me sharing what I have with you, alright? he's a very insecure person about that kind'a thing. All of which, has reason. Be good to him. Oh dear lord I'm giving you the talk i'd be giving his boyfriend right now, I apologise for that. You get the idea," he said, waving his hand as a women approached the kitchen.

  "Oh hello!" She said brightly as she shook my hand and gave me the biggest hug yet. Wrapping both her arms around me after I stood from my chair, smiling as big as Max does regularely.

******
  Once Max had helped them set dinner and I helped, but only a bit, we ate and went up to Max's room. I looked around, and not one thing was out of place in here. He didn't have much in here at all, but it still was all placed perfectly in order. I found that odd actually, most would have a book or a pencil or something on the floor out of place, but not Max.

  "So, where were you before you came to foster care?" I asked and face palmed. Not everyone liked to share that sort of thing.

  "Me? Just with my mom. But she's back in the U.K. and isn't allowed in this state until I'm eighteen years old," he said, sitting on his bed and picking at his jeans.

  I looked at him a bit confused, "would you feel comfortable telling me what went down with it all?" And he shrugged slowly.

  "Um, well, my real dad left when I was four. My mom said he didn't want me. She said he thought I wasn't disciplend enough. Because all my mom did to punish me was the belt and no dinner. So when he left, she told me it was my fault.. And she broke my fingers on my left hand, see?" He said and lifted his hand, showing me his fingers which were crooked and deformed, "she forgot to take me to the hospital for it. Then throughout my life she punished me a lot by hiding all the food in her closet, by locking the bathroom doors when she went to work, and putting ciggerettes out on my ribs mostly, see?" He stood up and pulled up his shirt, pointing to two deep looking scars, "she choked me a couple times and fed me raw eggs. I got taken out of the house because my auntie came to visit one day, and I sat on the couch, and my feet were still healing from the time she made me stand on the stove barefoot, and she freaked out because they were gross looking. So she asked my mom what was wrong with them and she said she didn't know. Well then my auntie took my shirt off when my mom was in the kitchen, and the left side of my ribs were swollen and black from when I fell off the stove and hit the side of the counter. My auntie went in the kitchen and beat my mom up, and then I started crying and tried to get my auntie to stop, then my mom got up and told me to stop being such a snitch. Then she told me, "this is why your dad left. You are a good for nothing little bitch" and I never saw her after that. I went to one other foster home before this one, but I don't know why I got pulled out of there," he said and I watched every tear fall in his lap.

  He wiped at them repeatedly, and just got quiet.

  "Max?" I said after just a moment.

  He sniffled and lifted his head a bit, "yeah..?"

  "You're stronger than anyone I know. and I believe you're amazing for that," I said before wrapping my arms around him.

  "Thank you, Dylan.. I'm sorry," he said before latching to my shirt and resting his head on my shoulder.

  This boy... will be mine. I will heal him, and make him happy until he doesn't want me anymore.