Chapter 7: Opposing the Queen

Mikaela swiftly walked over to open the front door.

“You know Mikaela, there’s one thing I truly hate - smelling like wet dog,” the man sneered. “Is this dreadful weather really necessary?”

“Forgive me Darius. I didn’t know you were coming.” Mikaela quickly lied, whispering a spell into the twilight above them.

“We both know that’s not true, seer. “ He said, planting a kiss on the back of her hand. “Do remind me to never cross you.”

Klaus stepped out from behind her. “And you are?” He spoke at her guests in an unimpressed tone.

The trio smirked at him, their crystal blue eyes turning a golden brown, “Much older and wiser than you, hybrid.” One said, spitting on the ground beside him.

Dmitri emerged from his room, aware of the impending doom brewing below. He went to join his sister at the door.

Mikaela placed her arm across the doorframe to stop either of them from crossing the threshold. Klaus was clearly unaware of the power the men standing in front of him held. “Nik, this is Darius. Darius, this is my dear friend, Niklaus Mikaelson. You might remember him if you tried a little harder.”

Darius shot her a wide eyed gaze. “Mikaelson you say,” he enquired, “Any relation to Esther?”

Mikaela gulped loudly, “Why don’t you boys’ come--”

“You knew my mother?” Klaus interrupted.

Darius reeled at his words, “Knew?

“Yes, knew – she’s dead…gone...rotting.” Klaus replied, emphasizing each word.

Darius pursed his lips, now fixing his eyes on Mikaela. “I need you to redo the spell your father placed on us to stop us from aging. The pack is in an uproar and I’m sure you don’t want any harm to come to your coven.”

“Of course not,” Mikaela was quick to reply. “Please, do come in.” She said, motioning towards the foyer.

Dmitri and Klaus moved back to make way, and the latter eyed the trio apprehensively as they passed him by.

Mikaela grabbed Klaus’ hand as she led the group to the living room. She summoned James who tended to the group’s needs. She excused herself to gather the needed materials consisting of spring water, rosemary oil, wolfsbane and her trusty dagger. She emerged back in the large hall not too long thereafter.

“Wolfsbane,” Darius scoffed at her after taking a whiff into the air. “Are you trying to kill us?”

“Come now Darius, you need to sacrifice a little of yourself in order to be worthy of Eternity.” She said. “Besides, if anything goes wrong, my blood will heal you in an instant.”

“Your father didn’t need it for his magic, why should I believe you?” He asked her sceptically.

“Have I ever given you a reason to doubt me, Darius?” she asked.

When no answer came, she led the group to a spot on the grass in front of the large mansion. The cool breeze drifted through her loose curls and over her silky skin. Klaus desperately wanted to touch her, but she moved away from his grasp and Dmitri knew he had to stop him from moving any further.

“You stay here with me Nik,” he said as he held Klaus back.

Klaus wanted to snub the notion, but held back when he remembered that the two of them had been close once.

With her blade, Mikaela reopened the scarred vertical figure eight on her left palm; the symbol of Infinity. Her bright scarlet blood seemed to glow in the light of the full moon. Her eyes blackened at the sight of her hand and the veins around them lifted to just beneath the surface of her skin.