Chapter 4: My Brother's Keeper

Matt bit his bottom lip thinking of the right thing to say. His skin was pale and he felt sick; overcome by a sudden surge of rage.

It seemed like an eternity before he finally spoke, “What do you want me to say Mikaela?” He clenched his jaw, waiting for her answer.

“You don’t have to say anything Matt,” Mikaela said, “I just wanted you to know.”

She turned towards her car, “Goodnight.”

Just then, Damon and Stefan arrived to check if Matt had made it home safely. He shooed them away and stepped inside the house.

“Goodnight,” he whispered, too quiet for even her to hear.

Mikaela stopped routinely at the red light overhead. Her mind drifted further and further away as she stared blankly ahead. This was all very new to her and she wasn’t quite sure how to react. She was so in thought that she didn’t even notice when Damon got into the seat next to hers. A cigar smoke smell lingered on his clothes. He gently touched her shoulder to comfort her.

“You should probably get out,” she ultimately sighed.

“You’re probably right,” Damon replied, but remained seated, “I think I’ll stick around though.”

It was time he put Elena behind him once and for all and Mikaela was definitely worth fighting for.

“Damn it Damon, I mean it.” She spoke with a tremble in her voice, her temper growing.

“Try saying that ten times fast,” Damon teased.

She turned to face him, trying with all her might to force a smile – failing miserably.  He saw right through her, it was like he was looking at a version of himself from the outside. She returned her gaze forward, well aware of what would follow if she didn’t. Mikaela put the car into gear and drove home. Damon turned the radio up. An indie song blared from it and he sang along, pretending to enjoy it.

“You know, I should really bring you some good music,” he tried to make conversation.

Mikaela was silent, her foot resting harder on the gas. Damon watched the speedometer climb higher and higher.

“Mikaela,” he tried to rouse her from her trance. It seemed like she was testing out the car’s top speed and Damon promptly buckled his seatbelt. “You know what would be great? Slowing down,” he said at a snail's pace, not wanting to end up a mushy pile of gunk in a tin can. “Doesn’t that sound like fun?”

Mikaela chuckled at him, lowering the speed. The vehicle roared through the driveway, coming to a complete halt in front of her châteaux on the other side of Mystic Falls.

The butler greeted them at the porte cochère and Mikaela handed the keys over to him. “Thank you James.” Mikaela said, walking up the stairs.

“Are you coming in then, Mr. Salvatore,” she invited Damon in.

Damon paced up the stairs behind her, meeting her at the front door. The giant glass doors swept open revealing a dark grey marble stairway leading up into the unknown. He was in awe of the luxuriousness of it all, taking every bit of it in; from the crystal chandeliers on the ornate ceiling to the Victorian works of art gracing the entrance hall’s walls. Mikaela’s graceful touch led him through an Elizabethan themed hall on the right, leading towards the study. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw a portrait of her hanging on the wall. Her satin emerald coloured dress was decked out with cream lace and golden embroidery which amplified her complexion. Her curly locks were tied up into a bun and covered in a close fitting hairnet adorned with pearls and golden thread.