Chapter 13: All Fall Down

Matt’s hands franticly searched for the silver dagger.  He looked down to where his heart was, expecting the worst, but the blade was not there.

 No longer suspended in the air, he surveyed his surroundings.  He noticed he was not where he had been just moments before.   

And when he turned around, the shimmering orb that encircled the vampires started to disappear. 

 She couldn’t have, could she?

Matt gasped for air as the world closed in around him.

He expected the worst as he turned on his heel. 

“Until death,” Henry breathed his final words.

 Mikaela fell to her knees, trying hard to fight back the tears as the ashes of her loyal soldier drifted away in the breeze.

 “You will pay for this,” she hissed at her mother as a billow of black fog surrounded her once again.

 Although the seers’ eyes foretold her of the dreadful event just before it occurred, Mikaela was devastated as ever. 

 “Residat,” Mikaela commanded the smog around her to subside.

 Lilith took the opportunity to swoop the dagger from Henry’s remains.

The blade glistened in the pale moonlight.  

 Mikaela’s entire army of vampires flanked her.

 “Stand down, all of you.”  She commanded.

 Her troops reluctantly followed her orders.

Lilith sprang forward, weapon aimed square at her daughter’s heart. 

 Mikaela jumped back, blocking the first blow with her forearm.  

 Lilith moved swiftly, repeatedly slashing Mikaela’s shielding limbs. 

 Blood flew from the wounds, eating away at Mikaela’s flesh. She willed herself to move quicker.

 Mikaela planted her left foot firmly on the hard ground below her as Lilith lunged herself forward.

 A steadfast Mikaela landed a kick at the back of her mother’s knees.

 Lilith turned on her heal and approached with the blade once more. 

 Mikaela crossed her arms in front of her face, fending off the relentless attacks.

 She grabbed Lilith’s lingering arm, twisting her wrist in an attempt to disarm her. 

 The blade dangled mere inched from her mother’s face. 

 Lilith’s knee collided with a low thud against Mikaela’s abdomen, causing her to double over. 

 The dagger following swiftly thereafter.

Mikaela‘s name echoed through the silent woods. 

She looked up to see her mother grinning smugly down at her.  Mikaela reached up, closing a hand around her mother’s throat.  Once Mikaela got back to her feet, she squeezed Lilith’s neck more tightly.  Lilith feverishly tried to remove her daughter’s determined grip.

Her eyes widened as the seer showed her exactly what she planned to do with her.  She squirmed beneath Mikaela’s hold.

An explosion of crimson liquid erupted from where Mikaela’s free fist collided with where Lilith’s heart used to be.

On the other side of the plane, uncertain yellow eyes gazed through the darkness, staring at the shocking scene as it unfolded before them.

Their silence resonated through the dim night.