Challenge 3: The Firebird Blade

“It’s not my fault I’m scared of the dark!” Julie wailed.

“You’re seventeen! Grow up!” Azer laughed.

“But it’s scary!”

“When’s Master going to get back?” I muttered. We were all chilling in the heart of the cavern. Master had told us to wait while he checked something. We had been waiting for at least a couple of hours.

“Sorry, guys. It took longer than I thought.” Master finally came back!

“It’s cool!” Julie assured him.

“The cat was really impatient though,” Azer teased. I rolled my eyes.

“If I had nine lives when you left, I’m now down to four,” I said.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. Lynx, Azer, are you ready for the final challenge?”

“We’ve been ready!” we both answered.

“All right then.” Master placed a sword on the ground in front of us. It was still sheathed, but had a red-gold handle in the shape of a phoenix.

“This is the Firebird Blade. Our guild’s first master once wielded it in battle, but its power was so great that he never used it again unless absolutely necessary. He secretly sealed it away in this very cave.”

“Yeah, we get it, it’s ancient. Let’s skip the history lesson and get to the challenge!” Azer interjected rudely.

“Don’t worry, Azer. The challenge is simple: unsheathe it.”

“What?” I blinked,

“That’s all?” Azer asked disbelievingly.

“Yes, that’s all,” Master Ebon replied.

There has to be a catch; this is too easy.

“I thought only one person could become S-Class a year?” Julie asked.

“That’s right,” Master Ebon answered.

“Then whoever goes first would win by default!” she exclaimed, “That doesn’t seem very fair.”

Master Ebon just shrugged and smiled mysteriously.

“Works for me! Sorry, kitty!” Azer grabbed the sword before I could stop him - not that I was going to. I had a hunch that something funny was going on.

Azer held the sword with a confident smirk on his face. It seemed like slow motion as his hand wrapped around the handle to pull it out.

But he never did.

The next thing I knew, the sword clattered to the cave floor, still sheathed. Azer had jumped back from it, and now stared at it with terrified eyes. His smug expression had disappeared, replaced by pure terror.

“Azer, are you okay?” Julie asked. He didn’t react for a few moments, then slowly shook his head.

“No…” he whimpered. He looked like he was about to cry.

“What happened?” I asked.

“No…” he said again, shaking his head harder. I looked at the sword, then at Master Ebon. His face betrayed no sign of what he was thinking or of the sword’s effects. He simply returned my glance with his own, his eyes asking if I was going to try it myself.

I looked at the sword again, and slowly picked it up off the ground. The handle was still as polished as it was before Azer dropped it. The feathers were finely carved into the bird, reminding me of the mother phoenix we saw earlier. At this distance, I could that the bird-shaped handle had black jeweled eyes, shimmering with magic energy.

If this sword caused such a reaction, then I would beat it. I will draw this sword. I had no hesitation as I grabbed the handle.

The moment I did, I understood why Azer had to let go. The images I saw were terrifying:

Millianna, running to hug our dearest friend…

Her silver-tinted blood staining the rug… a red filter over smiling kittens…

Erza Nightwalker, her sword - still dripping with blood - raised to kill me…

I will not let go… I will not let go… I told myself.

A town child pulling off my cloak, laughing and pointing at my ears and tail…

His parents, eyes wide with horror…

Do not let go… draw the sword… I told myself, but the images kept coming.

My face on wanted posters…

My tear-stained face, running away…

Me falling… falling… falling…

I felt my hand, clammy with sweat, threatening to coil away.

I am not afraid! It’s all behind me now! I scolded myself fiercely.

“... I didn’t dare to trust anyone… friends are much more dangerous than enemies…” my own voice echoed.

“...it’s okay to cry… phoenixes have healing tears…” Ray’s voice echoed in response.

… AND I’M A PHOENIX NOW!!!

I felt a comforting warmth in my hand, which spread through my whole body. Even though my eyes had been open the whole time, I felt like I was waking up.

The sword’s sheath lay on the ground.

The sword itself, held up triumphantly in my left hand. Its blade, shimmering with both silver and gold, exposed.

Julia looked at me with a congratulating smile, Azer with outright surprise, and Master Ebon…

His face was full of pride. He looked surprised, but there was such warmth and love mixed with it that I didn’t feel insulted or underestimated.

“Congratulations, Lynx Tora; you are an S-Class wizard.”