Challenge 1: Defeat the S-Class

Today was the big day: the S-Class trial. I went behind the guild at the designated time and found that Azer and Julie were already there. I was wearing the outfit Maya made, Azer was in his usual sweatshirt and basketball shorts, and Julie had on black yoga pants and a light blue tank top.

“Well, look what the cat dragged in,” Azer smirked.

“Knock it off,” I replied coldly.

“So you were the lucky one this year, huh?” Julie asked, looking at my clothes.

“Are you saying this is a regular thing?”

“You got it. They like to pick one S-Class candidate each year and help them get stronger before the big day,” she explained.

“I don’t know if help is the right word…” I muttered.

“Hey, Emerson was the one they picked last year,” she said.

“Really?”

“Yeah, that was hilarious!” Azer laughed, “you should've seen what they made him wear!”

“I have some pictures if you want to see them later,” Ray said as she joined us. She wore a similar outfit to Julie’s, except in pink and she had a t-shirt. Azer laughed even more.

“I thought you promised him you would delete those!”

“I did - after I printed them out for my scrapbook!” she giggled. We all laughed with her.

“Good to see you’re all in a good mood this morning,” Master said.

“Just talking about last year’s run. That was awesome!” Azer replied.

“I agree, but don’t expect it to be the same this year,” Master warned.

“Got it. So where we off to?” Ray asked.

“Firebird Cavern.” For some reason, they looked surprised at this.

“Is something wrong?” I asked.

“Firebird Cavern is a hidden national reserve. They say it’s the only place phoenixes breed in the wild,” Julie explained to me, “but there is a strictly-enforced No Trespassing law.”

“You can thank Jacob; he somehow got special permission for us to hold the test there from his last job,” Master explained.

“I’ll have ask my brother about the details later,” Julie muttered. I forgot that her brother was friends with Jacob. Master held out four pendants with phoenixes on them, and had us each pick one randomly.

 Master held out four pendants with phoenixes on them, and had us each pick one randomly

“You will need to wear these to find your way there. Each pendant contains a GPS lacrima.” Once I put it on, I could see an arrow behind the phoenix, pointing me toward a certain direction.

“Master, if we’re all going to the same place, why are the pendants going in different directions?” Ray asked. Sure enough, the necklaces were each pointing in a slightly different direction.