Chapter 2

-Zayn

Zayn cracked his eyes open, lifting his heavy eyelids off his pupils. Blinking a few times, it took a moment for him to realize he wasn't in his bedroom. Instead he was curled up onto the leather couch, in his living room. Sitting up slowly the raven haired lad stretched out, wincing when his back popped in three different places.

After the fire at the orphanage Zayn, had decided that it was best that he live by himself. He knew how possessive Valac was, and he didn't want anyone else to get hurt. It's been one full year sense the burning, and the police still don't know the cause of the fire. Valac still wont explain the writing on Zayn's arm, and it's kind of irritating.

Walking to the kitchen Zayn made a bowl of Lucky Charms, before sitting on the counter. Eating slowly, he enjoyed the silence that he rarely got. Looking out the curtains of the window, he sighed contently at the warm sunny day. Closing his eyes, he moved to he right slightly so the sunlight was streaming down on his face.

'Nice isn't it.'

Zayn ignored Valac's comments and sighed heavily before throwing his half eaten cereal away. Rinsing the bowl out, he made his way back to his room. Zayn went down the hallways passed the bathroom, to his own cold one. He took his socks off and pulled his shirt over his head before turning on music and laying down on his huge bed. His eyes shut and he listened to the lyrics of some song he doesn't remember downloading onto his iPod.

'Have you got colour in your cheeks?

Do you ever get that fear that you can't shift? The type that sticks around like something in your teeth? Are there some aces up your sleeve?'

Zayn opened his eyes only slightly when he felt Valac leaving his mind. He watched as the demon took the form of a transparent raven before shutting his eyes again. He felt claws pressing against his abdomen, and sighed. Opening his eyes Zayn looked at Valac with a blank expression. It was obvious that Valac wanted to talk, and it was also obvious that Zayn didn't. Closing his eyes once again, Zayn sighed trying to get comfortable even though it was a bit difficult with nails digging into his skin.

Frowning slightly when the nails started to sink even deeper, he opened his eyes to glare at Valac. "What?" he snapped not in the mood for the demons games. Valac didn't reply, instead he stared down at Zayn expectantly. Zayn didn't get it at first, but soon understood when his forearm started to burn. Valac had warned him that something like this was to happen soon. He didn't know exactly when, but he figured it would happen eventually. The burning intensified, and Zayn could feel the tears pricking at his eyes. He didn't know what was happening, and he wanted it to stop immediately.

Soon everything started to become red. The walls vanished from his sight, and he felt gone. The fire was still very much present, and was the only thing other then Valac's claws he could feel at the moment. Zayn laid sweating on the bed, as he tried everything to make the burning go away. He hasn't felt like this since he was three. And that was only because he had gotten a really bad fever.

'Relax.'

"I would if I could!" Zayn hissed out getting really annoyed by the comment. Clenching his fist, he blindly rolled off of the bed to the floor. Moving on to his hands ion knees, with his head hanging low. Zayn groaned in pain as the burn didn't go away. He could hear Valac's feathers ruffle as he accidentally knocked him off of his body.

'Your pyrokinesis is getting stronger.'

Zayn ignored the Valac's voice, and gripped at the floor as a scream raked throughout his body. Falling over on his side, Zayn shuddered as hot tears fell from his light brown eyes. Balling his fist up tightly, he winced slightly as he felt Valac lad on his hip this time. His nails sharp, but still nothing could beat the intensity of the burn that was consuming him.

'You have a new one as well...I don't know what it is though.'

Zayn whimpered, and curled up in a little ball. This is not how he had planned for his day to go. Not at all.

Suddenly everything came to a stop. Everything was somewhat normal again. Yes, his forearm was still hurting, but everything else was fine. The room didn't feel like it was on fire, and he didn't feel like he was burning alive. His fist were slowly un-clenching as the pain started to melt away. He was just about to slowly sit up, but froze when everything went black. His body started to shake, and he felt like he was moving even though he was sure he wasn't.

Valac moved from off of him, to the windowpane watching him. Zayn fell over on his back, and blinked repeatedly as his sight slowly started to come back. Staring up at his bland ceiling, Zayn took a shaky breath trying to calm himself, hoping that this time everything was 'actually' back to normal.

Sitting up even slower than he normally would. Zayn rubbed his hands over his face and through his hair. Lightly pulling on the strands, he ignored the pain that shot through his forearm. looking down at his arm, he gasped as he saw Arabic writing start to form right under the other writing. ملاك الظلام.

Zayn didn't even really look at the writing, afraid of what it could possibly say this time. Shakilly standing up, Zayn wobbled over making his way to his closet. He probably resembled Bambi right now, and the thought slightly annoyed him. He was sill a good ways away from his closet. He wanted, no needed to get his jumper from off the doorknob. He didn't need to be tempted to look at the writing, so he was just going to cover it up. He was just near the door, when he felt himself fall into something. Everything was pitch black around him, but he could still see everything clearly. Looking up Zayn, stared at the plant that looked massive compared to him. Looking where he was standing, Zayn started to panic as his whole room looked bigger than him. Running to the end of the long stretch of shade, he gasped loudly when he just ended in another shaded area. Frowning, he ran again and ended up by the closet, and suddenly became normal size again. Feeling his arms, Zayn patted himself down to make sure he was all there.

"Oh god...what the hell just happened?" he breathed out confused and a bit shocked.

'Shadow Control....You can manipulate and control shadows, using them to hide yourself or even as a mode of transportation. Such as travelling from one shadow to another.'

"Why?"

Zayn didn't get a reply to that, so he instead just grabbed the jacket and slipped it on quickly. Making sure to pull the jacket all the way to his sweaty palms. Sitting down on his bed, Zayn sighed and closed his eyes frowning. Leaning back, he groaned and curled up over the covers thinking, "Why me?"