Chapter 30

Ross's POV

"Obviously, the green light on Daisy's dock represents all that Gatsby wants, but cannot have," I explain to my friends after one of our classes, "The distance from Gatsby's mansion across the bay from Daisy's dock is analogous to both the emotional and physical distance between the two. He has to admire her from afar rather than engage with her, since she's married to Tom. Gatsby morally can't act upon what he feels for Daisy out of fear of the repercussions involving having an affair with the rich, powerful, business tycoon's wife," I pause to take a breath, "It's similar to the trepidation I felt around Laura before I had the balls to ask her out."

The guys stare back at me in stupefaction. Usually, my analysis is never that strong, especially since I've been struggling a bit in this class. Though, considering The Great Gatsby is one of my all-time favorite novels because of how much it parallels Laura and me, this unit on the American Dream has been my favorite by far in the class.

Jeff shakes his head in my direction, still in disbelief, "I should really meet this Laura girl. She must be doing quite a number on you if you talk about her this much," he's joking, but to me, it's a hundred percent true.

"Yeah man," my long-time friend Harvey urges, "Why don't you bring her to class next time? Professor Jenkins won't mind."

Now that Harvey mentions it, Laura's always wanted to go to college classes. She loves begging me to let her read the books I get from classes, mostly because she doesn't have the opportunity to go to college, what with all the time that dance takes up.

Towards the end of high school, Laura had to make a decision between dance and academics. To Laura, it's a decision she'll always both regret and be thankful for.

In part, she regrets the opportunity she lost by becoming a dancer, logically reasoning that dance was her natural talent, which she couldn't bare to neglect. Basically, if classes were to become too difficult in college, the  years she would have lost without practicing may have inhibited her full potential as a dancer. Besides, she told me that if earning a college degree was still important to her after her dance career was through, she could attend a local community college and get a bachelor's degree through there.

Nevertheless, it's given her endless opportunities to expand on her dance arsenal and continue with her true passion. Dance is the heart and soul of the Laura I know, so it's obvious how heartbroken she would've been if she chose to apply to college instead of continue at her academy.

"You know what? Laura would love that," I tell them earnestly, "I'll call her now. See you guys tomorrow," I nod and begin searching for Laura's number in my Favorites list.

Hopefully Laura will be available to go tomorrow, since there aren't many classes left before finals week and summer break, "Hey, Ross," she answers in a cheery voice once the line goes through.

"Hey, Laur," I greet, "Aren't you supposed to be teaching a class right now?" as soon as my thumb pushed down on her name, I remembered she had dance, and I only half-expected her to answer.

Laura's so committed to dance and to encouraging others' learning in the subject, one of the qualities I've always admired most about her. Even in high school, though I didn't know her well, I knew of her enough to know that she was the president of the Physics and Advanced Math  tutoring clubs. I never had to attend those since my grades were never struggling, but I'd heard from friends about how passionate Laura was in leading meetings and breaking through with students academically, "It was canceled," Laura pouts, "Too many girls couldn't make it. I think families are taking early summer vacations."

"Oh, that sucks," I empathize with her, "I almost forgot you had a class today."

She frowns through the phone, "Yeah, well, you get what you get," Laura's outlook on life is so optimistic, which I love about her, "At least my schedule's free for a while. The only thing is, I really have no idea what to do with the time."

I smirk at my almost-too-perfect opportunity, an opportunity just like when I surprised her by taking her to Magic Mountain, "How about I take you out? You're going to love what I have in mind."

Laura laughs at my optimism, quite well-versed in my history with surprise dates, "Should I really trust that tone of yours, Ross Lynch?" she teases, which never fails to bring a smile to my face.

"I actually called you because I wanted to ask if you'd be interested in coming to one of my classes tomorrow," by the ecstatic squeal on her side of the line, I'm sure I've got her, "My professor's totally chill so he won't mind at all, and I know you've always wanted to go to college classes."

"Oh my gosh," she begins, "Are you serious? This is the best surprise ever. Thanks so much, Ross!"

I laugh at her adorkable reaction. In some way, I feel like I'm the only one who sees this adorkable side of her. I've been around Laura when she's with friends, but with me alone, there's something to her that's different. More adorkable when she's around me, I'd say. I can't explain how or why, but it makes me feel special to her, and I love it, "I assume that's a yes, then?"

***

ayo I'm back from the dead!

lol sorry it's just with ap's and grad stuff I was highkey stressed. but hey school's over and I'm on summer break! I only have 3 more chapters for y'all after this one :( definitely a bittersweet ending to my wattpad career.

but heyyy raz broke up and I am living for it. also v excited for p3 of caos and saving zoe and tde's album/ep this month and omg 2019's p lit so far ngl.

Vote/comment!

Steph (yesifeelgoodr5)