Chapter 35

Two weeks later...

Jackie's fingers brush against the rough edges of the faded newspaper that sits on the table in front of her. A lukewarm cup of coffee sits untouched beside it as her eyes skim each word of the news report, looking for only one story in particular. Just as it does every day, the newspaper holds information that keeps her moving, away from those who want her to answer for her crimes. And as much as she respects the law system, she just couldn't let that happen.

A black and white, rough sketch appears in the bottom right corner of page 4. As usual, a bold headline lies a couple inches above it, block letters spelling out a story to catch the eye of any unsuspecting reader.

'MANHUNT CONTINUES FOR HUMAN HUNTRESS', she reads. She can't help but scoff.

The news writers had a way with words, she had to admit. A certain amount of skill was needed to twist a story into the most dramatic account possible, and the stories following her own crimes and whereabouts were no exception. It wasn't the best situation for her, as the emphasized headlines caught the attention of anyone reading the paper or watching televised news casts. She had eyes on her constantly; it was only a matter of time before someone actually recognized her.

She had become fairly familiar with the feeling; being on the run, tying lose ends together in her mind as she had no definite direction in which to head. It wasn't a new feeling, nor was the bar atmosphere around her. Sitting in a window seat, torn up fabric of the booth rubbing against her jeans and a small breeze of cold air ripping through the old windows to her right, it was just another afternoon for her.

Far outside of Lincoln, Nebraska, she had stopped her westward trek when the snow falling from the sky became wet, turning into a mess of sleet and snow whirling in the wind. Having most recently stolen an old 2005 Ford car, lacking in all commodities including a functioning heating system and antifreeze for the windshield, she found that winter driving wasn't the easiest nor enjoyable of tasks.

So she found herself in a small diner with a bar in the middle, only 4 bar stools present. Booths lined the walls, with the door in the middle of one. It was a modest place for the modest farm town she found herself in, and just big enough for her to blend in.

The door swings open, dragging her eyes away from the newspaper. She finds a woman stepping inside, brushing her arms free of snow and wiping slush off her shoes. When the woman hardly looks around and makes a straight line to the bar, Jackie looks away, knowing the feeling of needing alcohol flowing through her system. And it being close to 5 in the evening, Jackie guessed it had been a rough day at work for the woman. Jackie wasn't one to judge.

There weren't many other individuals in the diner. Other than the older man acting as a bartender and the younger lady waiting tables, there were only two other customers sitting in a booth on the other side of the room. An older man and woman, Jackie guessed they were an older couple catching up over a cup of coffee.

"Can I get you anything else?" A country-accented voice breaks through to Jackie, making her head turn. The young waitress stood next to her, her hands placed comfortably inside her apron as she waited for a response.

"No," Jackie says quietly, throwing a small smile as she closes the newspaper, nonchalantly hiding the sketch of her in black and white. "I'm good, thank you."

She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a couple of crumpled singles, placing them on the table for the woman. "Keep the change."

The waitress leaves Jackie alone, bidding her a good night and having no clue that she had just served the 'human huntress' herself a cup of coffee. The thought gives Jackie an uncomfortable feeling in her gut.