Chapter 17

The Night of Gabriel's Death...

Gabriel stares into his brother's vengeful eyes, knowing well of Lucifer's evil intentions. He grasps an angel blade in his hand, holding it in front of him between he and the devil.

"Lucifer, you're my brother. And I love you. But you are a great big bag of dicks."

Lucifer's eyes darken as he listens to his little brother's words. With growing anger, he asks, "What did you just say to me?"

"Look at yourself!" Gabriel defends. "'Boo hoo, Daddy was mean to me, so I'm gonna smash up all his toys.'"

"Watch your tone," Lucifer warns.

"Play the victim all you want," Gabriel continues. "But you and me? We know the truth. Dad loved you best. More than Michael, more than me... Then he brought the new baby home and you couldn't handle it. So this is all just one big temper tantrum." Gabriel holds up his angel blade even higher and says, "Time to grow up."

Lucifer ignores Gabriel's taunts. "Gabriel, if you're doing this for Michael..."

"Screw him," Gabriel says. "If he were standing here, I'd shiv his ass, too."

Lucifer shakes his head. "You disloyal-"

"Oh, I'm loyal," Gabriel interrupts. "To them."

"Who?" Argues Lucifer, throwing his hands up in the air. "These so called Gods?"

"To people, Lucifer. People."

The fallen angel nods his head in disbelief. "So you're willing to die for a pile of cockroaches. Why?"

"Because Dad was right," Gabriel answers. "They are better than us."

"They are broken! Flawed! Abortions."

"Damn right they're flawed!" Gabriel's eyes shine with his fight. "But a lot of them try. They do better, they forgive. I've been riding this pine a long time. But I'm in the game now, and I'm not on your side, or Michael's." With a small smile, Gabriel adds, "I'm on theirs."

Lucifer stands, watching as his brother stands against him in favor of the humans. "Brother, don't make me do this."

"No one makes us do anything."

Lucifer gives his brother a sad look. "I know you think you're doing the right thing, Gabriel. But I know where your heart truly lies."

From behind him, Gabriel appears in an identical form of himself, holding an angel blade and ready to end Lucifer's life. The younger angel was prepared to kill his brother for humanity. He would give up his family for those below him. Yet, Lucifer knew his tricks. He knew his little brother more than he cared to admit.

As Gabriel lunges forward, Lucifer catches his arm and stabs Gabriel's own angel blade into his chest.

"Here," Lucifer says, looking down at his injured brother. "Amateur hocus pocus. Don't forget, you learned all your tricks from me, little brother."

With one last look into his eyes, Lucifer jerks the blade deeper into Gabriel's chest and lets him fall to the ground in a burst of light. Brother had killed brother, all in a war over humanity.

*      *     *

Dean's POV

"My brother killed me in a fit over humanity. I didn't take his side, and I knew he would react the way he did. He was my brother; I could usually predict how he would react to certain things."