Chapter 31

Jackie didn't think as she kneeled on the pavement of a wet rooftop, looking down upon the crowded streets of Port Townsend, Washington. It was mid-day in the beautiful, small town, and despite the pouring rain, people wandered about. A marketplace had been set up, and people came all around to buy and sell, their children running about carefree.

Jackie would have found it peaceful, a place she would have liked to visit again, even, but she knew she wouldn't. Not for pleasure, at least. Only on business, as she was now.

Her eyes had been trained on two figures for many hours. She had become very familiar with each individual after an entire day of watching them. They were a man and a woman, seeming to be minding their own business as they walked hand in hand through the streets. They stopped every now and then to speak with a vendor, but otherwise kept to themselves. It was a perfect day, they just didn't know it would be soiled for them in only mere minutes.

Jackie didn't break her eyes away from the couple, not for a second. They weren't as innocent as they looked. She was still able to flawlessly reach over her shoulder and take a hold of a sleek, black arrow, armed with her usual arrowhead at the tip. Made of the same metal as angel blades, supplied by Azrael himself, her two targets wouldn't stand a chance. 

And they didn't. Through the rain that continued to fall in light drizzling sheets, she watched, trained, and aimed. Her bow string became taught, her breath was held in sharply, and she didn't even blink as she let go.

As the first of two bodies fell to the ground, she saw her aim was true. 

Even several stories up, she could hear the startled screams break out below her. People began to scatter, running in every direction but towards the woman who fell, fear overcoming them. With an arrow sticking out of her back, no one wanted to stay around for long to find out what had happened. Only her companion stayed, but he didn't need much of an explanation. He knew what was happening.

Jackie stands up as she watches the scene unfold around her. She doesn't bother blocking her wet hair from blowing and sticking to her face; She hardly even notices it. She can only take in the chaos she had caused. 

Soon, the screams quiet, and the only living soul who seems to have stayed is the man. He kneels by the woman, looking around for any explanation. He doesn't find anything, not until he looks up to the buildings towering over him.

When the man's head turns towards her, Jackie stands tall and doesn't flinch. At the sight of her, the man stands, too, but he is helpless to do anything. Running wouldn't help him, nor his fallen girl. No one could come to his rescue, not even the men in the emergency vehicles that she could already hear racing towards the scene.

Jackie and the man stare at each other, and with only a moment passing, Jackie reaches for another arrow. She notches it, not breaking eye contact, and pulls back the string. Taught, ready to fire, Jackie lets loose the arrow. The man hardly flinches as he watches his own death unfold in front of him, only dropping to the ground once the arrow tip pierces his chest. No screams cry out for him as the woman had had, as the streets have been deserted. 

Jackie didn't feel satisfied with her work, nor accomplished. She wasn't sure how she felt, really, only trying to tell herself that she was doing the right thing in the end. Azrael wanted this, so she ought to do it. He was always right, it seemed, so she couldn't question his motives. She trusted him, completely. For him, she would do anything.

She didn't linger for long, and was gone before police began swarming the area. With a surge of energy rushing through her, she disappears from the rooftop platform, leaving no sign of her presence behind. She was good at her job; it's why Azrael gave it to her, and her alone. No man would ever catch her, not as long as Azrael's power surged through her.