Lesson #15: Carnivals Aren't So Great After All

The pins crashed yet again after I rolled the bowling ball down the lane.

"Yes!" I shouted as the barrier swept the fallen pins away and set down new ones. I slapped Nani a high five and then turned to Caiden and Chris with my hands on my hips. "Beat that!"

Chris grabbed a ball and stepped up while Caiden leaned back against the rail with a smirk in my direction. He crossed his arms over his chest. "You're not going to win, you know."

"Really?" Nani shot back. "Wanna bet, Jake?"

"Anytime Robinson," He grinned at her and she smiled back.

They had been like that all night, joking and laughing together, bantering back and forth.

Watching them, I felt like my plan was working. That was great. However, on the other hand, a feeling I hadn't expected at all was also rearing it's head, and I tried to squash it as much as possible and only focus on the good.

The pins crashed again and I glanced up to see the Christian had gotten a strike to match mine. The score was tied now. Damn.

Christian sauntered up to me, grinning cockily and caught me around my waist, pulling me up against his chest. "You were saying, babe?"

He leaned down to steal a kiss and I pushed him away playfully. "Oh, no you don't. Not tonight. Tonight you are my enemy. You don't get a celebratory kiss from me." He pouted and I laughed before standing on my tiptoes to kiss his nose. "There. Now go away and watch my best friend kick your asses."

The guys ended up winning that game, and then we played one more, which Nani and I won, before we decided to head out and find something else to do. I don't remember who suggested the SIlverlake Carnival, but I do remember the look Caiden and Nani shared when it was brought up; a sort of half-amused half-mischievous look, like it was some private joke they shared.

I also remember that I didn't much like that look.

"Ferris Wheel, versus rollercoaster. Which one?" Christian asked.

The carnival was fairly crowded, (it was Friday night, afterall) and everything was brightly lit and cheerful. Kids ran around laughing and screaming as their parents chased them around with toddlers trailing behind them on leashes, couples walked together hand-in-hand and other groups of teens ambled around the various booths, foodstands and rides that filled the fairground.

"Rollercoaster!" I said immediately. "I vote for rollercoaster."

Nani shook her head. "Ferris Wheel. I don't need to get sick."

Caiden shrugged. "I'll go for the Ferris Wheel too."

Christian took my hand, interlocking our fingers. "I guess it goes without saying that I vote rollercoaster too." He raised our entwined hands and kissed the back of mine. "Want to meet at the House of Mirrors afterwards?"

Nani smiled. "Sounds good to me."

"The House of Mirrors? Are you serious?" Caiden protested.

I smiled sweetly. "Is there a problem, Caiden?"

"Yes! It's creepy as hell in there!" He retorted.

"Fairly sure that's the point, Jake," Nani replied mildly. "But if you're scared, don't worry. I'll stay with you and hold your hand so the big bad monsters don't get you."

He made a face at her and mumbled something none of us could hear under his breath.

Laughing, Nani grabbed his arm and started dragging him away. "See you guys in a few!"