Chapter Two

What am I even doing right now?

I’m running away with a guy who I don’t even know.

Yeah mom and dad… I’m making you REAL proud here.

After I stuffed all my shit into one bag I met up with Kris by the same service elevator.

“You got all your necessary stuff?”

“Uhh…yeah. I hope so.”

“Okay. Now we’ve got to take the service elevator to the top floor then crawl through the vents to get up to the roof then…” he looked at me.

“Then?”

“Then we jump.”

“What?! You the hell told you that I’m going to jump off a flippin’ 10 story building!”

“We have to! We are going to jump off from the back-into the bushes then run through the forest to get to the harbor. If you do it any other way we will run into guards.”

I sighed, “Okay”

We climbed into the elevator again and Kris pushed the lever up and we rose slowly. Too slowly for my liking.

Suddenly it stopped and the doors were forced open. I gasped in shock at them in front of me. Emotionless faces with empty eyes and only one thing on their minds-kill.

Quickly, before they could grab any of us, Kris pushed at the top of the wooden elevator with all of his strength. When he finally broke through, he pushed me up through the hole and I started climbing. By the time Kris got through, all the others had already piled into the small space but luck was against them. Their combined weight caused the wire that was connected to the top to snap which sent them plummeting down to the basement. When we heard the crash, we continued to climb, knowing that we were safe…for now.

When we got to the top floor, we climbed through the door and ran through the halls, looking for the door that leads out to the roof, but once again we ran into them.

“How did they get up here so fast?” I asked, almost out of breath.

“It doesn’t matter,” Kris said as he tried another door on our left, our ex-comrades ominously getting closer to us, “if we don’t get out of here now, we’ll be dead.”

When he finally got the door open, I quickly pushed him through and locked the door behind us but on the other side, they had already started to kick and punch the door.

“Nice going Lilly, really. You locked us in a room. You know we’re trapped now right?”

Damn it! I didn’t realize that this wasn’t the door to the roof. I had just wanted to get away from them.

My eyes darted around the room, looking for an exit. ‘We don’t have much time.’ I thought as I heard the incessant banging on the door. My eyes fell onto a window towards the back of the room.

“Kris, does that window face the forest?”

He went over and checked, “Yeah, it does. Why?”

“We’re going to jump through it.”

“Good plan.” He took one of the chairs in the room and threw it against the window. He quickly grabbed my hand and right before we jumped out the window, the door flew off the hinges and they started to pile into the room.

Kris looked at me, “Well, it’s now or never babe.”

I scowled, “Don’t call me ‘babe’.”

We jumped out of the window and landed into the bushes below, but luck seemed to be fed up with us because not only did we land in a thorny bush, but we also landed in the fragments of glass from the window. I looked down at my bloodied hands but I couldn’t dwell on them for too long because Kris was already pulling me towards the forest.

They didn’t jump down and follow us like I thought they would. Either they thought we died from the fall or they couldn’t see us in the dark.

We ran through the forest and soon we came upon the beach. I slumped to the ground to catch my breath and I started to pick out the thorns and glass from my hands.

“Kris…how do you plan on getting us out of here?’

“With a boat of course.”

“You have a boat?”

“Well…no but I plan on stealing one of their supply boats. They just came in tonight and they’ll be packed with supplies to last us.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had to swim out a bit to get to one of the boats. Luck seemed to be interested in us again because all the boats were unattended. Everyone was probably looking for us around the compound. We quickly climbed aboard and luckily, the idiot who captained this ship left the keys so we started the boat and sailed off into the night.

“Kris?”

“Yeah?”

“Where are we going exactly? You do know that nowhere is safe anymore right?”

He sighed, “Yeah I know, but I was thinking that maybe we can stay in hiding and live this out, and I was hoping that you would stay with me…because I like you.” He whispered the last part so I couldn’t hear him but I didn’t pay it any mind.

“Okay, I’ll stay with you but I want one thing first.”

“Yeah, anything for you babe.”

“I told you not to call me that.”

“Sorry. So what do you want?”

“I want to at least see my family one last time and I want to say goodbye to them all…especially Jessica.”

“Who’s Jessica?”

“My little sister, I hated her at first but I guess you can say that she grew on me.”

He smiled at me, “Of course. Where are they?”

“Busan. In the Saha District”