chapter 2

"Lady Anistaga, how are you this morning?"a woman's voice asked. I looked up from my book to see a blurry maid bowing towards me.

"I am well. Where is mother?"I asked standing up and walking right past her.

"The Lady is in the Lord's quarters preparing for the meeting,"the maid replied not moving from her spot.

"Thank you Delorious. You are dismissed for the day after your duties have been completed,"I thanked nodding at her before walking away from her. I heard her say something but I couldn't figure out what. I was at my parents quarters in a couple of minutes. I prepared to knock on the door before but stopped when I heard voices.

"No I will not do such a thing,"mother said holding bewilderment in her voice.

"You have no other choice. She is closest to you,"father explained calmly.

"I can not allow my only child to die, much less by my own hands,"mother protested.

"I am the Lord of the entire Shield society with controls all Shield families. Whatever I say goes even to you,"father bellowed with venom in his voice. A silence hung in the room and all I could her was the shallow intakes of breaths.

"Alright but let's take a suicide approach,"mother agreed after a while.

"I'm listening,"father told her showing her that he was taking the suggestion into consideration.

"Since Lord Loren is close to her we can..." mother started but her voice was cut off when I felt something warm land on my ears.

I turned my head back to meet a pair of familiar scarlet eyes. My eyes fluttered close as I was pushed into the body of the scarlet eyes. I clutched the top of the man's blazer as I dug my head, angrily, in his chest not making a sound. A hand landed on my head softly creasing through my slightly open hair.

"Forgive me,"a voice said behind me. I turned my head back to see a knife fly towards me. The man behind me disappeared as darkness surrounded me. The knife cut through the layer of skin into my heart causing me to gasp with pain. The last thing I saw was a pair of familiar hazel eyes before darkness overtook me.

***

My eyes snapped open causing me to jolt up. I panted for air as I looked around the room I was in before calming down once I realized where I was. I was sitting in my bed in Adir's mansion. My room was spotless save for a few books and papers here and there. I was laying on a pearly white queen size bed with an annoying canopy over me. A nightstand sat beside my bed with a book on it. Across my bed sat a desk with a large pile of papers and a large bookshelf beside it. On the left side of my bed was a balcony that was covered with a black curtain holding back the sunlight. Opposite the balcony sat a door that lead to the exit of the room. Along the same wall beside the bathroom door, which was along the wall of the bed, was a closet filled with my cloths.

Aiming to relive the stiffness that remained in my muscles I pulled the blanket off, with little effort, and swiftly slipped off the bed, wincing a bit as I did. I moved towards the cabinet and pulled it open. I scanned the contents before picking out my normal attire. Gripping the cloths in my hands I stalked into the washroom feeling a little woozy but I was still able to walk. Closing the door behind me I turned to face the mirror. Giving myself a quick scan, I became quite curious of my appearance. I was wearing a loose grey sleeveless shirt with a pair of baggy pants that barely reached my ankles. I grew self conscious as my flawless pale skin revealed itself more than needed through the ridiculously short cloths.

"Clarice,"I muttered gritting my teeth as the only person who would dress me like this appeared in my head. Only Clarice would do something so utterly pointless and uncomfortable to me.