9

I didn't realize how scary the docks were at night until I pulled up all alone. The headlights of my car were brighter than the few that littered the streets in a dim orange glow. Everything about this area was unsettling.

I parked between two large containers, concealing my car the best I could to blend in with the rest of the junk before cutting my engine. The dark was unwelcoming and the parking lot was eerily silent.

I did my best to peep my surroundings before I quietly climbed out.

Stacked shipping containers lined the area in rusted colorful rows along with a few sparse loading cranes. The only objects that stuck out were the shiny black vehicles parked by the loading dock. I could only assumed they belonged to Moreno.

I looked down to my watch,"11:00 pm." was the perfect time before departure. I went over the plans in my head again. I had two options:

Option A:
Call Moreno and let him know I'll arrive a little late and to hold the boats for me so the police have enough time to shut it down.

In the meantime, I'll sneak around try to open a few containers to find the girls. Worst that happens? The police bust this thing down and rescue me anyway.

Option B:
Go the hell home and wait for James.

I could only imagine his reaction if he caught me here. I checked my purse for his wallet, my lame excuse being the only thing that could lessen his anger.

Regardless, I had to get moving. The smell of being parked between two garbage piles was making me lightheaded.

My nose scrunched as I sifted through my purse, "C'mon.." My hands were restless until they landed on the familiar piece of paper. I brought it out quickly and squinted my eyes to see Moreno's number.

Our brief encounter ran through my mind again,

"Think about it.. I own a club in Brazil, "Portão do céu" where you could be the star.. Be by my side as we travel..be free with me." He dreamily spoke as he passed me his card, "Just come before midnight tomorrow and look for boat 25. It's a cargo ship but our room is luxury." I took it before stuffing it into my purse, earning a smile from the man.

I looked briefly at my watch, "11:10" time was only pushing on and I knew it was now or never. I looked around quickly before spotting an old pay phone in the dark.

My eyes focused on Moreno's vehicles across the dock as I scurried my way over to the phone. It was only twenty feet away but avoiding broken glass, loud steps, and the occasional sidewalk boulder made it ten times harder.

I wish I could sigh in relief as I finally reached the pay phone but something around me felt wrong. The sensation of eyes watching made me hesitate as I looked around one more time, "It's just nerves.. tap it in." I consoled myself quietly as I pressed my knuckle against the cold metal keys.

"55, 276-.. 6?.." I pressed hard as I struggled to key in the phone number. The metal button slowly went in but then refused to poke back out. I let out a tired groan as I sighed and pinched the button before trying to pull it out with my fingers, "Damn it!" I whispered.

A hand covering mine almost made me jump out my skin as I turned to face James who's hand flew over my mouth. I couldn't even make myself complain as the expression on his face made me quickly shut up.

He leaned down to my ear, "With me. Now." He spoke lowly before letting my mouth go and walking into a dark direction. I hesitated but the idea of him having to grab me was more than enough to get my feet going.