3

Since the rush of getting to the dorm this morning took up our time, Daniels decided the best way to regroup and go over our information was with a simple brunch. I felt like it was an excuse since he got the munchies from being in the room but I knew better than to tease him.

"Do you think the fruit here is fresh?" I swung my feet happily as I looked over the menu. Everything they offered sounded delicious but something sweet was calling my name. Daniels was also focusing hard on his menu, "I haven't had it.. But they seem good from what I've seen." He peeked over his menu just as I did to him, making me laugh softly.

"I think I'll get that and some orange juice." I nodded my head contently as he gave me a confused look, "That's it?" He questioned and I gave him the same look, "Do you think I should get more?" He nodded his head and opened my menu again, pointing to the breakfast options, "Fruit isn't enough, Alice." His tone reminded me of an annoyed parent and I had to hold back my laugh.

"It's not enough for you, Daniels. You're the one that's built like a bear." I gave him a pointed look, making him chuckle softly, "I suppose you're a little right.. You're actually small." He motioned towards my swinging feet and I quickly stopped them, "First of all, I'm five' five. That's very normal height." He scoffed slightly, making me pout as the waiter came.

"Are you ready to order?" He looked to me and I nodded my head quickly, "Can I have an orange juice and fruit salad please?" I watch as he nods his head and writes it in his pad before looking to Daniels, "And for you sir?" I watched Daniels take my menu and stack it with his, "Triple stack with sausage and egg. Scrambled." The water nodded before taking our menus and leaving as fast as he came.

"I'm so excited! I haven't eaten out in forever." I smiled brightly as I looked at the cute diner we sat in. Our booth seats were more than comfortable and by the window, giving me the perfect view of everything happening outside.

"It's not eating out if you didn't order real food." James spoke up and I narrowed my eyes at him, "You have some secret vendetta against fruit? Are u scared of grapes?" I snap gently and watch him smile slightly, "No. I just know you'll be looking at my plate when our food arrives." He gives me a pointed look and I shake my head, "Nope. Keep ur greasy sausage and scrambled eggs." I brush him off and watch him hum softly before reading the news paper on our table.

I peeked over and read a glimpse of it, "Police have been have confirmed the skyrocketing cases of kidnappings are more than coincidence. Word of gang behavior has been spreading quickly among the citizens which has lead the mayor to propose a new curfew for targeted areas." My heart sunk further and further with every sentence I read.

I had to peel my eyes off the paper and look back towards the bustling city to keep from crying. My eyes felt that familiar sting as I let my hands fall in my lap, playing with my fingers as I my mind began to buzz. All I could think about was Aliyah.

Lost. Afraid. Alone.

The soft clinking of dishes snapped me out of my thoughts as the sweet fruit bowl in front of me slightly lifted my mood. I knew crying wouldn't bring her back any faster. I needed to focus on following her tracks until she was in my arms again.

She is the only thing that matters right now.

I took a deep breath as I sunk my fork into my fruit, grabbing a big strawberry and biting it happily. I didn't realize the detective was watching me until I looked up at him and watched his eyes move back to his food.